I haven't been spending as much time as I should in my dome lately due to work and study commitments, but I certainly intend to soon as winter targets once again start to pop into view. 

I note that some of my latest work needs better noise reduction and being out the loop sometimes, I am wondering what software or techniques others here use for noise reduction? I used to use a program called Noise Ninja in PS, and it worked a charm, but the plugin stopped working with a PS update.

In fact, why don't I whine a bit more by posting an image I feel is noisy. Feel free to experiment or recommend software-

Tarantula by Raymond Palmer 50 Percent.tif

Thanks and look forward to the feedback. 

Ray  

Ray, I use the 'Camera Raw Filter' in PhotoShop. It's under 'Filter' in the menu.

In the image below I have circled the Noise level settings. I find it works best for me if I do Colour noise reduction first, then Noise Reduction, then 'Sharpening' last.

What I like about Camera Raw Filter is that you can raise Sharpening without re-introducing the noise you just reduced. 

Noise.jpg

Thanks Prof. This is why I thought I'd ask, because its been a few years since I've done any research on noise removal and figured that there might be a new standard. If both you and Ken are both doing it, then it is most likely quite effective (and the results also speak for themselves).  

Ray

• Like 1

Noel Carboni as you may know works for Adobe so has inside information on Photoshop. The noise reduction packages were tested and optimised on deep-sky images (as well as others) which is why they work so well on DSOs.

Greg

• Like 1