Sign in to follow this  
Dragon Man

1st Images from my new 450d

Here's my first attempts stepping up from my 350d to my new (well, new to me) Canon 450d after a 12 year break from using DSLR's 

Tarantula Nebula (NGC2070) and surrounds in the LMC

3 x 120 second lights stacked in Sequator

Processed in PhotoShop CS5 (Exposure slightly raised, black level reduced, and saturation lowered)

Focus was slightly out but I'm pretty happy with this first result  :)

Tarantula-5-Feb-2021-processed.jpg

My second image took a bit longer because it's an HDR composite made up of many differing exposure lengths to prevent burnout in the core: 

Orion Nebula region (M42 & M43 & Running Man) 

Exposures: 1x2 sec, 1x5 sec, 1x10 sec, 1x20 sec, 1x40 sec, 1x90 sec, 1x120 sec,

Stacked in EasyHDR, processed in PhotoShop CS5 (Contrast, Guassion Blur, Sharpen)

Still plenty of noise!  ;-|

M42-HDR-stack-5-Feb-2021.jpg

Next one, in between burst of cloud and a massively speeding Jetstream . . . 

Carina Nebula (NGC3372)

4 x 60 seconds, stacked in Sequator, PhotoShop (Levels, Sharpen, Crop)

Carina-done-9-Feb-2021.jpg

Next one is:

Gabriela Mistral Nebula and NGC 3293 Gem Cluster

8 x 80 seconds stacked in Sequator, PhotoShop (Levels, Saturation, Sharpen, Crop)

Gabriela-Mistral-Nebula-and-NGC3293.jpg

Nice collection of images with the 450. The Canon range of cameras lend themselves very suitable to AP -- Well done :)

Dave.

• Like 1

Thanks Dave.

I'll get used to using DSLR's again, with practice. The last 12 years I've been doing Video Astronomy with Analogue and USB cameras, but now dabbling in both. Video and DSLR's.

I'm happy with my results so far :D

Wow mate, some serious photons considering the exposure times. I'd love to play with a DSLR sometime. Are you using one of those small dedicated DSLR mounts for tracking (I forget the name)? 

And some lovely pillars / globules clearly visible in Carina. 

Ray

22 hours ago, Radar said:

Wow mate, some serious photons considering the exposure times. I'd love to play with a DSLR sometime. Are you using one of those small dedicated DSLR mounts for tracking (I forget the name)? 

And some lovely pillars / globules clearly visible in Carina. 

Ray

Thanks Ray.  :)

No mate, no DSLR tracker mount. I'm still using the same setup I posted a year ago (the DSLR is in the 6 inch reflector)

In this link:

On 4/23/2021 at 10:09 PM, Dragon Man said:

I'm still using the same setup I posted a year ago (the DSLR is in the 6 inch reflector)

Yes, I remember that setup. Once I purchase a DSLR (which I've been wanting to for years), I think a little tracker mount for travelling would be well suited for me. I used to travel with full kit, but the setting up and pulling down at 3a.m, plus the drive home (and the easy convenient observatory in my backyard) put rest to those days. B)

Ray

One of our club members has a fantastic little portable kit using a DSLR.

Fortunately older Canons that are more than adequate are very cheap now. My 450d was only $310 on ebay. There's plenty more on ebay.

He has his 450d mounted on a Skywatcher Star Adventurer tracking mount. He is set up and imaging in about 5 minutes, and pack up takes him about 3 minutes.

No fancy software, he just uses the Canon capture software that comes with the cameras disk. (EOS utilities) He gets the same results as us with our fancy gear, but his is so basic.

Ken

On 4/25/2021 at 7:56 PM, Dragon Man said:

No fancy software, he just uses the Canon capture software that comes with the cameras disk. (EOS utilities) He gets the same results as us with our fancy gear, but his is so basic.

Ken

Does EOS require a laptop? Or is this the firmware? I've actually kept a ton of Elite Chrome 200 slide film in my freezer, so once I get a small tracking mount, I'll have to use those as well. But certainly will check eBay Ken and checkout those earlier Canon's. 450d sounds like a bargain. 

Ray

Yes Ray, EOS Utilities requires a computer. It is the capture software that comes on the Canon camera disk.

It's very basic but works great. Obviously there are better capture programs, but they cost money . . .  except ImagesPlus which is one of the best (if not THE best) capture software but it is verryyy complicated. The author/owner of ImagesPlus has retired and made if freely available now instead of the old price of $279 ;)

Personally I find BackyardEOS far better and easier to use and only cost AU$50 for the Premium Edition (link)

Yeah, 450d is a great camera and plenty go cheap. Look HERE

• Like 1

Great captures Ken.

Is your 450D modified for AP,  or just using the stock filter?  I modified mine myself (450D) installing a IR pass filter.  Lets in the Ha wavelengths.

NOTE:  The noise gets rough on exposures above 5min @ ISO 800.  1600 is worse, unless you're shooting say, a comet using 1min exposures.  Glad you like it,

Have fun and experiment!

Tim.

• Like 1

Thanks Tim, ;)

No, my camera isn't modded. I considered it but went against it. I prefer the colours from the unmodded camera. I have used several modded cameras but still prefer the results from unmodded.

I only do my DSO imaging at ISO 800. So much easier to process any noise out.  I have used 1600 a couple of times as a test and was very disappointed with the results.

But I find that planetary video looks OK at 1600 

Ken

12 hours ago, timthelder said:

Lets in the Ha wavelengths.

Tim can you do narrowband with it? It is obviously shot colour though, but I know some cameras can disregard two channels and shoot monochrome. 

Ray

On 5/5/2021 at 9:49 AM, Radar said:

Tim can you do narrowband with it? It is obviously shot colour though, but I know some cameras can disregard two channels and shoot monochrome. 

Ray

Honestly, I never thought about it Ray.  As, (for my purposes) I prefer the OSC 'one and done method'.  I am thinking about a newer cooled camera but I am not yet ready to pull the trigger.  (Can't seem to make up my mind.)

Tim

• Like 1

I know I will eventually purchase a DSLR for landscape, widefield, meteor showers, etc. I can't see myself hooking it up to my telescope, however I also know curiosity killed the cat and I most probably will. But I certainly miss widefield shooting like star trails etc. 

Ray

• Like 1