scorpius

SW Black Diamond 120mmx1000mm Refractor

Before putting Trius M26C OSC CCDs on the back of the Canon 200mm prime lenses, I tried the lens out (for astrophotography) with a Canon 5D MkII DSLR. The results were absolutely superb, and as the 5D MkII is now an "old" model you can pick them up cheap.

Greg

• Like 1

On 11/05/2020 at 3:23 AM, Dragon Man said:

I've only ever owned one camera. A Canon 350d, and I still have it and still use it  :lol:

I'm not much of a photographer (Terrestrial that is).

I have about 14 Astro cameras though. :blink:

I need to update what I said in my quoted post :lol:

I am now the proud owner of a Canon 450d b0201.gif

I have been getting fairly good results so far. If this rotten weather cleared up for a few nights in a row I would get more opportunity to see what this camera can do, but for now I am using what clear nights we get to 'give it a go' t2001.gif

I'll post some current pics from the 450d when I go back up the back paddock to my observatory where they are stored on the PC there. It's bucketing rain at the moment, so don't hold your breath waiting :P

Will look forward to your photos.  Very quiet here. my Cancer treatment went off the rails and PSA shot up from 0.3 to 27.  Over ther past 2 months been on "Liquid Chemo" and different injections for bone repair.  Has knocked me around a bit.

Current waxing Moon has been clear over in the West here. but just have no enthusiasm to get out there ATM. Antiquity is also taking over. 

Cheers Dave.  Parkwood.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 2:22 PM, Dragon Man said:

I have been getting fairly good results so far. If this rotten weather cleared up for a few nights in a row I would get more opportunity to see what this camera can do, but for now I am using what clear nights we get to 'give it a go

We had some clear nights, but as Dave will attest below -

6 hours ago, scorpius said:

Current waxing Moon has been clear over in the West here. but just have no enthusiasm to get out there ATM. Antiquity is also taking over.

Our government decided to do some burn offs to prevent bushfires, and our skies over new moon were smeared out with smoke (just when I had some nights free and a nice pinot noir :angry: )

Ray

Yes Ray, we have smokey skies every day and night for the last few weeks. DWELP is doing their annual burn-offs in the bush across our whole region and farmers are burning off their crop stubble. Gotta love living in the country :(

We just keep imaging and looking through it or we'd have to go on sabbatical for 3 months :huh:

And now with the cold weather coming we are entering Fog season. We get fogged out at least 2 nights a week on average right through till about mid November.

I just had a look on the map at where Snake Valley is. You would have some great skies out there I imagine (when there are no clouds or burn offs). I live on a main road, however I did get my power company to put shades in the streetlights in front and behind my home so that no light comes onto my property, which did make a small difference. I need a paintball blaster so I can cover up the rest of them B)

Ray

Yes Ray, beautiful dark skies here.

We have an agreement with our council (and I have it in writing) that any further development in our town has to be passed by our Astronomy club after the developers and the Electricity company consults with us. If we say no to any streetlights or obtrusive external lighting (which we obviously would do) then they don't get their streetlights or lighting :lol:

Our council is good at working with us to keep us as a Dark Sky Town on the Australian Dark Sky Register. 

http://www.australiandarkskyregister.com/

On 4/23/2021 at 6:30 PM, Dragon Man said:

Our council is good at working with us to keep us as a Dark Sky Town on the Australian Dark Sky Register.

Wow! I'm so jealous. There is such an over abundance of streetlights in our neighborhood. I did speak with someone at council once, and he said turning night into day makes people feel safe, even though they are sleeping through 98% of the light emitted all night. Kind of silly really, its like society needs a night light to feel safe. With CCTV tech being so cheap and effective, many other ways to keep the suburbs safe IMO.

P.S Would love to buy a farm out in the middle of woop woop one day. 

Ray

Ray, there is interesting statistics available now after a 20 year research study into security lighting worldwide. It shows that areas with an abundance of security lighting and streetlighting have higher crime rates and burglaries/break-ins.

Areas that added to their lighting to feel 'safer' had their burglary rates skyrocket. The reason is because burglars can see what they are doing. Lighting helps burglars.

In dark areas burglars have to use a torch and people see the torch light moving, and they often make more noise. Hearing or seeing this people call the police. 

Also, too much lighting has now been proven to cause cancers, especially Breast Cancer in women. The human body MUST HAVE several hours of total darkness to stay in balance. In some research they found that even the slight bit of light from an electronic clock next to the bed can be enough to disturb the body's circadian rhythm, weakening the body's immunity.

Lighting at night has many problems and hardly any benefits.

There's a lot of info available on the internet now to use against council (and industrial) lighting.

But this subject is for another thread. Not for this one about Skywatcher 120mm refractors :lol:

Cheers Ken. And you are right, it is worth starting another thread.

Ray