Radar

Introduce yourself and meet the members

Welcome Jim. Good to see another ex Navy wallah in the group. I am ex Pommy Navy circu 1950. Yes its great having some good gear, unfortunately the bank manager does not always agree :ahh!:

Hope you enjoy being with the group. Know all about the wet having spent many years up in the NW of WA Great country for spekky lightning shots.

Thanks everyone for the great welcome. It's a top site (fine work Radar) and I hope to be more involved, time permitting.

Ray, re the pier. I would be doing the work myself. Have done a bit of concrete work in another life so don't have any real worries there, but please let me know if you have any tips at all. Won't be doing anything for a little while though. Will I need to use a 'wedge' too?

but please let me know if you have any tips at all. Won't be doing anything for a little while though. Will I need to use a 'wedge' too?

You'll only need a wedge if you are doing astrophotography Jim. As far as the pier goes, you a heavier (rather than lighter) metal. This will reduce vibrations. If you can run power through the concrete and up through the pier tube, that is always a bonus to.

Thanks for the tips Ray. I'll be researching wedges and piers and whatever else I may need but you will probably hear from me again when (if!) I get time to do something about it. Security of tenure here in CY is an issue that will have a great bearing on just what I can do.

Introduce Yourself

Hi,

Originally from Headingley near Leeds, Yorkshire UK. Served with RAF (Medics) in Germany, RAF Hospital Wegberg, OP theatre Staff, also at RAF Hospital Ely.

Member BAA, London & elected Fellow F.R.A.S, London. In 1968. Moved to super skies in Tasmania. Built two observatories 1969, & 1999 and now building my third. President AST twice 1971-73 & 2000-2006. Build much of my own equipment - 16" EQ Fork mounted in progress plus other gear.

Lots of hobbies & interests, incl playing in concert bands Clarinet & Flute, landscape painting, photography etc. Ultralight flying and flying R/C aircraft with cameras on board. Writing regular magazine & media articles as well as for Sky and Space.

5-acre bush block with understanding partner, lots of pets, dark sky site and close to Mt Canopus Observatory (involved with it since 1968).

Not enough spare time.

Clear skies...

Hi everyone,

This site is great.Though I've always gazed at the starry heavens,I only got a telescope 5 years ago.My binoculars were and still are what I used.Some of the stuff available is fantastic but out of reach for me.I have always wanted to photogragh the night sky.

I have some suburban light pollution where I am,but it's bearable.Well,I'm off to look at more of this great site,(and maybe play some more games-some of them brought back memories,lol ).:welldone:

Hi Maia,

Welcome to the site. Glad you are finding your way around okay.

Where abouts are you located?

(and maybe play some more games-some of them brought back memories,lol ).:welldone:

lol, they bring back memories for me to. :thumbsupmate:

Regards

Ray

G'Day Maia,

Welcome to the site. Its a fantastic site, hope you enjoy.

Try knocking some high scores from Phoenix, he won't mind:eartoear:

Cheers

Chris

Hi Maia,

I'll join everyone else and say welcome to the site. :Chessy_Smile:

I hope you like it here, everyone is a great bunch of people and don't be shy on asking questions.

Cheers Colin

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Yeah,as you can see,I haven't filled out a profile yet.I'm from the sunny state of QLD.Though from the nighttime skies lately,you wouldn't think so...so cloudy!! I don't get out to use the telescope as much as I used to.My fav.object to observe are open clusters and nebulas(nubulae?),and trying to resolve multiple stars with my 114mm reflecter. I always consider myself as a novice.

G'Day Maia,

Welcome to the site. Its a fantastic site, hope you enjoy.

Try knocking some high scores from Phoenix, he won't mind:eartoear:

Cheers

Chris

LOL. Its hard being The King of the arcade ! when you have guys like chris challenging for the high scores, it keeps me on my toes.

Welcome to the site maia

Cheers Jason :pipethinker:

Hi everyone,

I'm Greg Parker, the guy that collaborates with Noel Carboni - I have an observatory in the New Forest, Hampshire, U.K. I came across this site via self-Googling (I know I could go blind) as Noel had put some of our images on here.

I'm Professor of Photonics at the University of Southampton which sounds a lot better than it actually is, and at present I'm only really interested in deep-sky astrophotography (pretty pictures).

Great site you have here, and of course a great country you have for this hobby :)

Greg

Hey Greg

Welcome to the site, your images are simply stunning as of said to Noel keep them coming.You and Noel are one heck of a team. :welldone:

You have mastered the craft very well.

Cheers Jason :pipethinker:

Hey Greg, welcome aboard mate. :thumbsupmate:

Your photos are inspiring to say the least.

How long have you been teaching photonics? I'm not even sure what it is. :duh:

Ray

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone :)

Ray - I've been teaching for 20 b***y years in exactly 3 days time - not that I'm counting the days of course.

Photonics is electronics but using photons instead of electrons, my particular speciality are things called photonic crystals which are also called "semiconductors for light". Although I am pretty cheesed off being in the same place for 20 years, I now have the next year off all teaching and admin to start up a new group on "optical biomimetics" which is basically pinching Nature's solutions to optical problems and implementing them using better materials. Must admit I find this an exciting idea.

All the best,

Greg

Welcome to the group Greg, if you think you don't have time for anything else, wait until you retire, that's when the action really starts ....

Ray I am surprised you didnt know photonics was taking advertising photos of Tonic Water. Tut tut :pipethinker:

Ex Pom

Thought of the day

If you don't know the answer, invent one you can only be 50% wrong

That is a long time teaching photonics Greg. It's fitting that you are a CCD imager. I bet you have a few special tweaks for those CCD cameras. I did electronic engineering when I left school, it is a great field to know. I left the course early and started off a tv / video repair business which I did for a few years.

Ray I am surprised you didnt know photonics was taking advertising photos of Tonic Water. Tut tut :pipethinker:

I knew it had something to do with soft drinks Dave, just wasn't sure what. :duh:

Hi from Norfolk. UK.

Hi,

I'm Peter and live and work in Norflok. UK. Only really got into Astronomy about 2 years ago and enjoy Imaging and Comet watching. I work in the Satellite Coms Industry designing and building coms equipment. Other hoddies include our Small Holding here in darkest Norfolk. Saw the site in The Sky at Night Mag.

Regards,

Peter

Welcome

Hi PeterN,

Welcome to the group, you will find us a pretty helpful and friendly mob. I used to live outside Leeds (Headingley) until I saw the skies "Down Under" and left the Leeds Medical School to be a foundation staff member in the new Clinical School in Hobart, a beaut city and a great place to live.

Clear skies...

Shevill

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the site. I think you'll enjoy this site.

We do have a few English types around - and most of the people are harmless.

Cheers Colin