Radar

Introduce yourself and meet the members

Yes Scorpius

Your interest in this model boat building is cool - what a comparison.

If I didn't havve two thumbs on each finger I'd probably give it a go .... no, on second thoughts-- no patience!!

I remember, years ago, I tried to put together a model of some confounded boat (ship?) called a "Cutty Sark", or equally ridiculous name (I think they gave it to me to me for therapy) but I broke the damn thing stuffing it in a bottle...*&^%**

I had better results not so long back building and flying Estes Model rockets. Now that was a buzz man!!!

Hi just thought I'd introduce myself

I live in Sydney..western suburbs-am a member of Western Sydney Astronomical Society and ASNSW. Astro gear-ED80, CG5GT mount, Canon 300D -modded and stock, Orion Star Shoot Deep Space Imager, ETX 70, 10 inch GS Dob, Coronado PST, 20 x80 binos plus odds and ends

I get a kick out of seeing what can be done with the ETX 70 ..a scope that is not supposed to be suitable for astroimaging

some of my images- I am not too prolific an imager and even worse at collecting and preserving my images are at

DSLR/ED80images

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91784720@N00/

ETX70/Orion SSI

http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k282/n_mukkavilli/

Narayan

also another of those "round Tuit things"

lol, haven't heard that expression for a while. We used to own a round tuit.

I get a kick out of seeing what can be done with the ETX 70 ..a scope that is not supposed to be suitable for astroimaging

Welcome to the site Narayan.

Your images are great. I imagine imaging with the the ETX70 was a challenge. Did you create some kind of equatorial platform for it?

Hi Seeker, welcome to the site mate. love ur astro photos. What does the number 372011 at the end of your name mean? I was thinking it was an NGC number or something like that.

Phoenix you have 35 high scores in the arcade! :eek:

Scorpius that warship building is no easy feat. You need some steady hands for that type of work. They'd be good hands for manual guiding though.

I imagine imaging with the the ETX70 was a challenge. Did you create some kind of equatorial platform for it?

It is a challenge to image with an ETX 70, mainly because the mount is so far from adequate

I built a wedge out of MDF and that has enabled me to go to 30 sec subs and I stack 50 to 60 of these for each image

Hi Seeker, welcome to the site mate. love ur astro photos. What does the number 372011 at the end of your name mean? I was thinking it was an NGC number or something like that.

LOL

Nothing like NGC numbers

just some random birthday numbers jumbled up

just some random birthday numbers jumbled up

Okay then, I'm thinking 3rd of November 1972?:hmm:

Hello everyone I'm Michael - Mick,

I have a Meade lx90 and a 300mm Dob they are both wonderful scopes and a joy to use. mostly I like to observe the planets, star clusters and doubles stars. I also like to do a bit of satellite spotting especially Iridiums in the evenings.

Fiona, that's the missus and I have 4 teenagers that keep us on the hop so we don't have much time for other pastimes.

I have small web site with some photos of Iridiums at the following link.

http://www.freewebs.com/estronomy/

Hi everyone, my name is Chris and I’m new here, I live in the western suburbs of Sydney.

I have always been interested in astronomy, but never had the time or money to do anything about it. So my interest never took of the ground.

A few months ago my wife and I went on a holiday and we stopped one night in Gilgandra. I found out that there was an observatory there, and that they have night viewing for the public. I convinced the wife to go and it was a full house, I met Steve Schier and he proceeded to show us all the night skies. I was amazed at what could be seen and it has revitalized my interest in Astronomy again.

In the next few days I hope to join my local astronomy club and perhaps have a look at a few of their scopes to help me decide which one I should invest in.

Cheers

Chris

G'day Chris. Good to hear how your interest has been revitalised. This hobby gets more and more addictive as you go on I think.

Welcome to the site mate :thumbsupmate:

Thanks Guys for the welcome.:Chessy_Smile:

Sorry Phoenix i knocked your high score on Galaga Space Invaders:eartoear:

Cheers

Chris

Sorry Phoenix i knocked your high score on Galaga Space Invaders:eartoear:

Don't worry about Phoenix's high scores mate, he has knocked to many of my high scores off, so pay back is a good thing (even if I'm not the one doing it) :Chessy_Smile:

Sorry Phoenix, but you have like heaps of high scores in there mate.:Chessy_Smile:

That helicopter game is really frustrating me though :ahh!:

All the best Chris :thumbsupmate:

Cheers

Ray

calling all astro gamers

LOL, still have 33 high scores to date. :Chessy_Smile:

If you feel like a challenge there are 2 tornaments going, come and play PLEASE. :eartoear:

Gidday all.

I respond in normal life to the name 'Jim', hold a seniors health card thanks to a couple of tours to Vietnam with the RAN but can't get my head around the concept of retirement.

An ex-Sydney boy (Summer Hill), I have lived north of the Tropic of Capricorn in Queensland for more than half my life doing a variety of things from mackerel fishing, house building, sound-recording for film studio, 13 years of remote-area 4WD tours across the top of Oz, and now manage a camping ground in Cape York (check out www.moretonstation.com.au) with my wife Susanne. Skies over Moreton can be awesome in the 'dry' season (winter) and obscured by monsoon weather in the wet (like now).

I am extremely envious of the sort of astronomy equipment it seems a lot of you blokes have, e.g. Radar, Scorpius, Noel C and AstroTasmania to name just a few (hey Shevill, want to adopt an heir?). I bought an Orion ED 80 some 16 months ago but have had only a few occasions to spend quality time with it. Am hoping to point it skyward during this 'dry' for observing and hopefully capturing some images with a Nikon D70. I'm keen to investigate a web camera option too but it may have to wait till I have time (Moreton is pretty much 24/7 for the next 8 months).

Love this site and all the awesome info therein. Can't suck it up quickly enough! Hmmm! Think I'm becoming a nerd!

Catch ya 'round the ridges

Wakaleo

Hi Jim,

You must have some fantastic skies where you are.

What mount do you use for the Orion ED?

Thanks for introducing yourself. :thumbsupmate:

Ray

P.S The link had a typo, it's been fixed and works.

Gidday Radar

Thanks for fixing the link. The mount is a german equatorial that was packaged with the scope, branded Orion but probably made in China(?). It's now packed in its box and sitting on a pallet waiting for the 'wet' season to pass so our gear can be trucked up to Cape York. Am taking the OTA on the plane with us for security but of course it's not much use without a tripod.

I would like to set up a pier and housing on the flat - time will tell if that's possible.

Wakaleo

Pier's are definitely the way to go Jim. I struggled for a few years dragging my scope out. At one stage I made a very cheap scope trolley. It was good for moving my LX 50 around, but it was still frustrating.

I had a concrete slab laid and placed a pier on it and straight away the fun factor went up by 100%. I still have to mount my scope on the wedge, but that only takes 60 seconds (literally).

Are you making the pier yourself or will you be buying one?