Radar

Introduce yourself and meet the members

Hi there!

Hello to everyone!

I'm a budding astronomer from St. Martinville, Louisiana, USA. I've done ALOT of homework regarding telescopes, and I'm going to dive right into astronomy & purchase an 8" Meade LightBridge.

I'm really looking forward to learning from you guys:smile:

Ezzi

G'day, Brett!

I ordered my scope & accessories yesterday, so everything should arrive sometime next week...keeping my fingers & toes crossed for clear skies!

The director of the local planetarium has very kindly offered to give me a helping hand and has given me contact info for a local astronomy expert...I think the expert is Bitsylon, but I'm not sure.

Wishing good seeing, peace and happiness to all...au revoir from Cajun Country!

Leslie

Hi Leslie,

Welcome to the site. Please post pics of your setup once you receive it. I always love having a gander at other people's kit. :biggrin:

If BitsyLon is your guide then you are in good hands. :smile:

Ray

Hey guys, Jeremey here from Australia. Just joined today so thought i'd say hi. I'm fairly new to astronomy so lookin forward to getting tips off you guys.

Cheers

Hi there Jeremy. Where are you situated?

This site is pretty cool.

Pete

I'm from the Gold coast, Queensland. Been having some bad weather lately unfortunately:(

Good day, the name is Ian.

Another newby (here anyway) from Australia. Just joined today so thought i'd also say hi.

I'm definitely not new in anyone's language to astronomy , been into stargazing and astroimaging since I was a kid (in the 1960s and 1970s) , but I am new to digital astroimaging.

I'm a retired pyromet process engineer but would rather not be retired but being over 50 it's hard to break back into the workforce (I'm very experienced and therefore expensive to hire). In the meantime I'm doing my masters degree in engineering management to keep connected , mentally active and to maybe improve my prospects - I don't have to , nor do I need to job hunt but I do anyway.

Live in Gateshead , which is a suburb of Newcastle in NSW.

I am currently designing and sourcing materials to build my very own backyard roll off roof shed to house my 10" astrograph , New Atlux , skypatrol outfit and CG5. da Boss-lady will be pleased when I get all my telescope "junk" out of the spare bedroom and into my shed.

I'm fed up with having to set up my stuff , involves taking it down stairs (Oh my aching back !!!) and the 10" OTA and Atlux on the tripod aint light , nor is the camera gear and CG5 and the steel tripod. A permanently setup and not needing to re-align the set up before I start will make my sessions more productive and I'll likely make more use of my gear then too (lately it's all been too much bother and too much like hard physical work !!!).

Also upgrading my 10" 's OTA (this will be V2).

I hate light pollution, dopey/ignorant or :crazy: neighours :I_ANGR~14:and I hate coma.

Mad keen rock , snapper and jewy fisherman (off the rocks - any dill can catch jewys from a boat - no challenge there) in summer.

And I do what all self respecting senior fishos do in winter , I fish for nigger in winter .... something very relaxing about sitting on jetty , wharf or rock and watching a float on a nice sunny winter day.

Hey guys, Jeremey here from Australia. Just joined today so thought i'd say hi. I'm fairly new to astronomy so lookin forward to getting tips off you guys.

Cheers

Hi Jeremy, welcome to the site mate. The only good thing about bad weather in Queensland is the lightening storms it brings.

I am currently designing and sourcing materials to build my very own backyard roll off roof shed to house my 10" astrograph , New Atlux , skypatrol outfit and CG5. da

G'day Ian,

That observatory is going to revolutionise the way you observe, and also revolutionise the way boss lady cleans the spare room. :biggrin:

Welcome again.

Ray

Who cares if the seeing is bad in summer , the fishing up there is sweet as .... it's a mekka for beach and river fishing there .

How far into the hinterland (away from the bright lights and nutty tourists ) are you ?

Hi Jeremy, welcome to the site mate. The only good thing about bad weather in Queensland is the lightening storms it brings.

G'day Ian,

That observatory is going to revolutionise the way you observe, and also revolutionise the way boss lady cleans the spare room. :biggrin:

Welcome again.

Ray

I might even finally be able to evict her from MY STUDY and get my big desk back .... she commandeered them and does her craft stuff in there . I was relegated to the coffee table with the lappy to do my uni work.

With mounts , tripods , and telescopes and the kids single bed and other bedroom stuff and other stuff stores in boxes the spare bedroom , you can hardly swing a cat in there . I've commandeered my kids chest of drawers and it's chockers with telescope bits and pieces , camera gear , and assessories . He moved out a few years ago when he turned 21 (and I gave him his marching orders) and now lives and works in Mackay , and very nice place there too.

Hi guys, good to meet you east coasters.

the fishing up there is sweet as .... it's a mekka for beach and river fishing there .

poor little fishies. :frown:

Brett

Who cares if the seeing is bad in summer , the fishing up there is sweet as .... it's a mekka for beach and river fishing there .

How far into the hinterland (away from the bright lights and nutty tourists ) are you ?

Well i live pretty close to all the bright lights, i'm in the area that are fairly close to surfers (around the Ashmore Benowa suburbs). I'm definitely closer to the bright lights and nutty tourists than the hinterland unfortunately. Either ill have to make do with the light pollution or drive out a bit to find a good place to stargaze. (I'm buying a 8*40 binoculars as I'm fairly new to astronomy so I'm not sure how well they'll cope with light pollution).

Welcome to the forums Vinnie :)

Well i live pretty close to all the bright lights, i'm in the area that are fairly close to surfers (around the Ashmore Benowa suburbs). I'm definitely closer to the bright lights and nutty tourists than the hinterland unfortunately. Either ill have to make do with the light pollution or drive out a bit to find a good place to stargaze. (I'm buying a 8*40 binoculars as I'm fairly new to astronomy so I'm not sure how well they'll cope with light pollution).

Welcome to the forums Vinnie :)

20x80s would be more useful for suburban sky scanning .... a little bit heavy but definitely manageable handheld so long as you are sitting.

I use mine more often than any of my telescopes .... great for checking out the fishing from a headland or other convenient spying location too.

Can get down to about 11.5 mag with mine on clear moonless night and the 3deg field is great.

20x80s would be more useful for suburban sky scanning .... a little bit heavy but definitely manageable handheld so long as you are sitting.

I use mine more often than any of my telescopes .... great for checking out the fishing from a headland or other convenient spying location too.

Can get down to about 11.5 mag with mine on clear moonless night and the 3deg field is great.

Thanks Ian, I will definitely look into the 20*80 but i am on a bit of a budget so ill see where that takes me:)

Thanks Ian' date=' I will definitely look into the 20*80 but i am on a bit of a budget so ill see where that takes me:)[/quote']

Look at them as a long term investment .... I also have a pair of 20x65s (ZIESS's) that dad bought for me when I was about 12yrs old , had them for 40 years and they come out sometimes , not as often since I bought the new Unitron 20x80s (about 10 years ago).