Radar

Introduce yourself and meet the members

I am Ray, aka Radar. I am 33. I am the creator of this new site. I hope you all like it.

I have been doing astronomy and astrophotography for many years.

You can view my images on my astrophotography website www.NaturesPeak.com.au

I am based in Perth, Western Australia.

I love watching scientific documentaries with lots of good graphics. This is why I added so many astro videos to this site (over 150).

I think this clip is amazing.

http://www.myastrospace.com/vidclip5.htm

This next clip has been quite popular. I tell friends and relatives when they come over, that this is a real impact from 2002 in the Arizona desert. When they see it (and think it is real), they really start to pay attention :Chessy_Smile:

http://www.myastrospace.com/vidclip47.htm

That is a little bit about me, what about you?

Also, if you can tell us where you heard about the site, that would be helpful.

:thumbsupmate: :thumbsupmate: :thumbsupmate:

I am also from Western Australia. Found out about the site through word of mouth. I work in the shipping industry. Don't get much time to actually do astronomy, so I do it in cyberspace.

AstroTasmania

An interesting thread, I am always interested to see where people are from as I originally came from the UK in 1968. Spent some years at the IMVS in Adelaide, now back in Tasmania just outside Hobart.

I am interested in many practical aspects of astronomy, instrumentation & techniques. My main interests are in video applications, recording active events, occultations, auroral activity,solar system especially the sun etc. I enjoy the challenge (trying to beat the clouds) of capturing the 'one off events' and being able to share the video clips with others. I plan to attempt some deep sky when I have my DSLR's and scopes set up. I enjoy making scopes & equipment in my workshop.

Rather than rewrite my bio, please follow this link:

http://www.apstas.com/astrotas/mathers/smathers.htm

Thank you for looking.

Hi Everyone...........

A big hello from the United Kingdom.

My name is Ian (Astro-Man-Ian) and I live in Tamworth in the Midlands of the UK...No big Guitars here ;-)

I found your site in the "Sky at Night" magazine and my first impression of your site is pretty cool!

A born again astronomer after a long break after my student years - I am now 43 and completely hooked and at peace with life.

Currently using a 6" Newt and an ETX-90 but have plans for bigger aperture soon...

I love going to astronomical events when I can and was very lucky to observe the March 2006 Total eclipse in Side, Southern Turkey which was fantastic!

Keep in touch, I would like to hear from anyone with Astro interests!

52.6487N -1.7086W

G'day Ian and BobbyC, welcome to the site guys.

Ian, did you take any photos of the eclipse? If so we would love to see some. :thumbsupmate:

hi guys, l'm Mick my user name refers to Astrolounge Observatory as it's the place l go to relax. l got back into astronomy about 5 years ago after a long break which included marriage, kids etc, l love astronomy but am not addicted to it, which is probably a good thing with the ammount of money l spend on it.

l've been a custom spray painter for 33 years and am now moving into the manufacturing of astro related products as you may have seen on my observatory thread, by the way the site seems to be progressing quite well.

G'day Mick, yeah your observatory is awesome. I'm based in W.A. I'm a friend of Radar. I don't have much equipment yet, but I have big plans for the next few years. I want all kinds of lovely astro toys. I have been interested in astronomy for many years, but only recently started becoming active.

I'm glad this site has been started off. Because astronomy equipment is so expensive, it is good to have a place where you can ask before you buy. I for one can't really afford to be making mistakes with what I buy.

What kind of telescope equipment are you going to build?

G'day Ian and BobbyC, welcome to the site guys.

Ian, did you take any photos of the eclipse? If so we would love to see some. :thumbsupmate:

Hi Ray, I spent many hours worrying about taking photographs of the eclipse last year an after several questions on various forums/USENET etc. I decided as it was my first eclipse, I would not get stressed out with a camera but enjoy the visual experience on the advice of learned friends..... So glad I did - it was awsome but only lasted 3m 30+s and not being an experienced photographer, I didn't want the hassle.

I knew people like Pete Lawrence (http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/) would produce some fantastic images - and he indeed did! (I have the tee-shirt!)

I will be planning a trip to Oz for the Nov13/14 2012 Total eclipse - hopefully Cairns..... Trip of a lifetime for me!

Ian

Good idea on the eclipse mate. Better to enjoy it than fiddle with a camera. I went to South Australia for the 2002 Eclipse. I had three cameras going. Got some great shots, but spent most of the time looking at the cameras. Though the last 15 seconds I spent staring at the eclipse. I will never forget how awesome it was.

Hey everyone:Chessy_Smile:

I'm jason aka phoenix i live in tassie, i'm 39 married with kids

love astronomy and fishing, i have 2 scopes, 8" reflector skywatcher on a eq5 mount and a 70*500 short tube

and i found out about this site from the sky and space magazine GREAT MAG.

Better Gear

Many people are in the same situation, especially with family/ domestic commitments etc. However, don't despair, very few of us ever started out with top gear, it comes with time. In our favour now is the ever increasing flow of very nice scopes in all sizes at lower and lower prices, that will do a great job.

This group is an ideal place to gather the sort of information that will guide you in your future purchases,to obtain the best view per dollar. I am spending my children's inheritance!!

Clear skies.........

I am spending my children's inheritance!!

Clear skies.........

I like the sound of that Shev. When it comes to a nice shiny Tak or a loud noisy teenager, I know where my money would be going.

Hi Jason, Astrolounge et al.

Nice to have you included in this ubiquitous collection of celestial flotsam and jetsam.

Again, as you say you're new here, a word of warning. Watch out for 'Radar' - he talks to his eyepieces! True!!

a word of warning. Watch out for 'Radar' - he talks to his eyepieces! True!!

lol, only beacuse I hear them at night asking to be let out of the eyepeice box. :crazy:

Radar' date=' very good reply to Astro Dave...[/quote']

Thanks Shev, I figured honesty was the best option.

Touchay ol' Radar my boy' date=' Touchay" .... (or is it Touche'?) damn it .. never did understand German

I'm not sure if it is German Dave, my 12 mm plossl is saying that touche is more French"ish". :crazy:

Greetings

Hi I am Dave AKA Scorpius. Got involved in astronomy many years ago. Started off with a 3" "Ebay special", then built an 8" dob, followed by an EQ platform, which has just been completed and being fine tuned. A past member of ASWA.  A keen follower of the moon with the ASWA Perth Lunatiks group.

Have been running a web page for many years  "The Smithdale Pages"  now at http://dsmithdale.net  which runs on an HP server box at home. The site is approaching 12,000 hits.

Hobbies include Oil Painting, Ham Radio VK6DX Scale warship building Astronomy, photography and anything that tickles my fancy.

Gear for astro 8" & 10" dobs. EQ6Pro platform, SW Mak90SC  -  Canon750D  500D and A520, Canon 1n Film &  Pentax SP500 film camera. Plus Bushnel Binos 10-30x50 and Field Scope 30-90x90 

As age increases, I have setup my system to be more user friendly, with computer control of scope and camera, the images being displayed on a 10" screen for great focusing ability. 

Have the unique distinction of having 5 craniotomies** over many years and cannot be held responsible for what I do or say : :D

**See my Story on my web site

Edited by scorpius
Updated March 2018

Welcome to the site mate :thumbsupmate:

cannot be held responsible for what I do or say

lol, that is what I try and say when I have had too much wine, but it doesn't seem to work.

I had a look at your site, that is one full life you are having. I'm surprised how quickly you got into telescope making considering you have only been doing astronomy for a short time. Anyway, nice work and welcome aboard. I'm sure others here will have something to say, so I will leave them some space on this page to post. . :duh:

G'day Dave, good to see you on the site. Checked out your story on your site. Wow! Very interesting read. I hope you keep adding to it.

Hope everything here is to your liking.

All the best mate.

Regards

Ray

Hey canismajortom, astrodave :Chessy_Smile: thanks for the welcoming.

and welcome to the site scorpius :Grouphug:

I love coming in and reading these forums you guys are so funny:putz: lmao

p.s need some of the high scores knocked off :pipethinker:

p.s need some of the high scores knocked off :pipethinker:

lol, I was in there today trying to knock you off the helicopter game. Man it's frustrating when you bang into things. That high score will be mine soon Phoenix. :eartoear:

And welcome to the site mate.

G'day Dave, good to see you on the site. Checked out your story on your site. Wow! Very interesting read. I hope you keep adding to it.

Hope everything here is to your liking.

All the best mate.

Regards

Ray

Hi Ray and others, Thanks for the welcome. "Life is a mountain all of us have to climb, good times, not so good times, keep aiming for the peak and try not to be dragged down by the rockfalls" Ah, the lad waxes lyrically

I have always been pretty good with my hands (no comments please!) Building my first dob was a lot easier than building the HMS Manchester which took three years.. The Loch Killisport took one year full time.

My Astro page needs sorting out, it was a quick throw together to get something on line for my friends here and overseas, trouble is I am running out of space, also another of those "round Tuit things"