Radar

I want to see your telescope setup (please)!

I have two main setups.

An 8 inch LX-50 on a Milburn wedge.

meade4.jpg

And a Losmandy G11 with a Takahashi Epsilon on top.

tak1.jpg

I have a Meade Pictor 201 stand alone guider, SBIG ST4 autoguider, PST and about to own a Meade DSI Pro II with filters. By the end of this year, I'm hoping to make a serious investment into a serious monochrome CCD.

Okay, lets see yours! :thumbsupmate:

This is the current scope I have a home built 18" f4.5 with the ArgoNavis and ServoCat. Pics taken at the last star party I attended.

My scopes

Ok guys,

here's my main scopes. The observatory is 3x2 meter rolloff roof shed with 8" Meade LX90 with Meade 5000 series 80mm triplet on piggy back. This is on a standard wedge on the pier.

The mount in the observatory will soon be upgraded to an EQ6 PRO goto mount and my triplet and a spare Orion ED80 will be mounted on a side by side configuration. The reason is that a fork mount on a wedge cannot image the South Celestial Pole area effectivly. As this is where some of our most famous fuzzies are, then a change is needed.

My mobile scope is also a Meade 8" LX90LNT. It has an Image Source DBK31 camera with a 55-300mm telephoto lens attached and if the weather permits, I'll actually get to see if it works. :eartoear:

Clear skies

Stephen

This is the current scope I have a home built 18" f4.5 with the ArgoNavis and ServoCat. Pics taken at the last star party I attended.

Yeah that's a nice looking scope Ed. Are you going to sell it once you complete your new project?

LX200 12" with Saxon ED100 on Meade Ultra Wedge in split roll of roof observatory

G'day Nick, got any pics of the observatory? I'm hoping to build something to house my scopes in the near future. I'm always looking for ideas. Never seen a split roof before. I'm thinking of building a small wooden enclosure for each telescope and pier, that I unlock and just wheel away, leaving my scope all setup and ready to go.

(I haven't got a digital camera)

Beware of buying a camera for astronomy Ithildin, it's very addictive (my girlfriend is still reeling from us not going away on holidays because I wanted more equipment :Chessy_Smile:). Just like Pringles, once you pop you can't stop!

Ok guys,

here's my main scopes. The observatory is 3x2 meter rolloff roof shed with 8" Meade LX90 with Meade 5000 series 80mm triplet on piggy back. This is on a standard wedge on the pier.

The mount in the observatory will soon be upgraded to an EQ6 PRO goto mount and my triplet and a spare Orion ED80 will be mounted on a side by side configuration. The reason is that a fork mount on a wedge cannot image the South Celestial Pole area effectivly. As this is where some of our most famous fuzzies are, then a change is needed.

My mobile scope is also a Meade 8" LX90LNT. It has an Image Source DBK31 camera with a 55-300mm telephoto lens attached and if the weather permits, I'll actually get to see if it works. :eartoear:

Clear skies

Stephen

Hey Steve. Don't forget about the beer droid (pictured), I imagine that that is a relavant part of your astronomy as well. Did you say you own two LX-90's?

Ray

yeah RAY,

I've got 2 lx90s and have just put one up for sale in the sales and trade section. I'm upgrading the main mount inthe obs and then will have 2 lx90s as transportables. So decided to use one to fund the upgrade

Stephen

Well id say most of you have seen these pics before , but here they are again in one place..

I have a 12in lx90 soon to be polar mounted,, with a skywatcher st80 refractor on top,

For cameras i have a meade LPI, a DSI-2 pro with a orion filter wheel attached. and next week will have a original DSI color for a guide camera as well.

I am also getting a Canon400d soon (sold my boat)just weather to get a modded one from USA (hutech) or a standard one,,,havent made up my mind yet.

Oh and the observatory to i spose ,, its equipment too!!

There ya go ..

Clear Skies

Pat

Southern Cross Obsevatory

Hi Folks,

Here are a few of my bits & pieces, check the Picasa link below if you want to see the real goodies etc.

Main 4-metre rotating observatory. Much of my gear is homebuilt, modified, adapted, etc. Another smaller 2.5m OctaDome observatory is nearly complete and a 16" f/4.5 homebuilt EQ fork mounted Newtonian based on my 12"f/5 design, is well under way and will go into the main obs with the 12" as a lightweight truss tube Newtonian mounted piggy back.

Pics. 4-metre rotating dome with tree sliding roof shutters, inside Newtonian 12", Tak Mewlon 210 f11.5 Dall-Kirkham, Tak FS-102 APO, SW 102 f/10, WO Megrez 80SD, Alhena GEM - FS2 Control + Argo Navis with Tak Epsilon 180ED f/2.8. Meade SN-10", Alhena with various solar system scopes, little portable EQ6 with WO Megrez 90APO & WO Petzval 66 & Coronado PST. All basically fitted with various cameras, Cooled SE CCD, Cooled 350D DSLR, Mod Nikon D50, Imaging Source Firewire,1/3" & 1/2" colour Mallincam Hyper Colour Plus, Watec 120N, 100N, DSI II, DSI Pro II, ToUcam 840K & various other his res video systems and all sky cameras.

Clear skies...

the idea behind the split roof is that you can roll either side back in when imaging and therefore protect from wind or stray light' date=' basically having a slit like a domed ob.[/quote']

Nice idea Nick. Probably easier to roll off smaller sections as well.

Well id say most of you have seen these pics before , but here they are again in one place..

When can I sleep over Pat? :Chessy_Smile:

Hi Folks,

Here are a few of my bits & pieces, check the Picasa link below if you want to see the real goodies etc.

Main 4-metre rotating observatory. Much of my gear is homebuilt, modified, adapted, etc. Another smaller 2.5m OctaDome observatory is nearly complete and a 16" f/4.5 homebuilt EQ fork mounted Newtonian based on my 12"f/5 design, is well under way and will go into the main obs with the 12" as a lightweight truss tube Newtonian mounted piggy back.

Pics. 4-metre rotating dome with tree sliding roof shutters, inside Newtonian 12", Tak Mewlon 210 f11.5 Dall-Kirkham, Tak FS-102 APO, SW 102 f/10, WO Megrez 80SD, Alhena GEM - FS2 Control + Argo Navis with Tak Epsilon 180ED f/2.8. Meade SN-10", Alhena with various solar system scopes, little portable EQ6 with WO Megrez 90APO & WO Petzval 66 & Coronado PST. All basically fitted with various cameras, Cooled SE CCD, Cooled 350D DSLR, Mod Nikon D50, Imaging Source Firewire,1/3" & 1/2" colour Mallincam Hyper Colour Plus, Watec 120N, 100N, DSI II, DSI Pro II, ToUcam 840K & various other his res video systems and all sky cameras.

Clear skies...

Inspiring setup you have Shev. This thread will probably become a thread people will drool over.

Ray

P.S To quote more than one person in your reply (like I have here), use the multi quote button found lower right when you are replying to a thread. :thumbsupmate:

Wow you guys have some nice equipment. Here is my set up, The first photo was taken last night at Kinchant Dam. The blue Lx 90 is my scope and the white scope is a club mates. I also have a 12" dob and a PST.

Scopes-for Visual

Hi Ithidin,

I have to be very honest here, I rarely do any visual observing, there never seems time to do both and once cameras are in place & focused, I am reluctant to remove them until I swap them round to other scopes. The nights of no cloud seem to be getting a rare thing these days!!

They all have their place, but for a quick look, the 12", big image and bright.

Clear skies...

The blue Lx 90 is my scope and the white scope is a club mates. I also have a 12" dob and a PST.

This is what I used to do Mick - dragging my scopes out onto the lawn. I had a large slab of concrete poured and eventually two piers put onto it. This made life so easy and took a lot of mucking around out of my backyard astronomy. Not as good as an obs, but still heaps better than setting up tripods, aligning etc. If you get the time, it's certainly worth doing.

Here are some pics of my piers.

[ATTACH]1140[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1141[/ATTACH]

anytime ur on this side of the country Ray.

im sure the wife and i can make a bed up in the obs!!:thumbsupmate:

Pat

Sounds good to me mate. I wouldn't wanna sleep anywhere else :Chessy_Smile:

post-2-14487511351484_thumb.jpg

This is what I used to do Mick - dragging my scopes out onto the lawn. I had a large slab of concrete poured and eventually two piers put onto it. This made life so easy and took a lot of mucking around out of my backyard astronomy. Not as good as an obs, but still heaps better than setting up tripods, aligning etc. If you get the time, it's certainly worth doing.

looks really good ray..did you make or design the piers yourself or did you buy them? when-if -i have the spare cash, this is probably the most useful investment to make... :)

looks really good ray..did you make or design the piers yourself or did you buy them? when-if -i have the spare cash' date=' this is probably the most useful investment to make... :)[/quote']

Hi Narayan,

I managed to salvage a pier from the astsornomical group of Western Ausrtralia (the pier with the round shelf thing). It was setup at Golden Grove, no one really used it and they wanted it out the way, so I enquired as to where it would go, and was told nowhere, they wanted to get rid of it. I offered to remove it for them and they said no problem :Chessy_Smile:

My mate made the other pier. Just a large round piece of steel tube, covered with rust proof sealer and biege paint. A solid iron base welded onto it and then a top peice as well. This is what my Losmandy rides on.

A great place to get piers from is scrap metal yards. You will find long heavy pieces of metal just like my piers lying around everywhere. With a little welding and angle grinding, you'll have a good pier in no time at all.

Ray

As you can see,I am for the moment set up for visual observing only.After buying the scope a few months back,and a few exta goodies,I 'm gonna have to save some money up for some atrophotography gear.(I can already tell that's where my interest is headed...

But anyway,here it is such as it is...(ignore the guy in the picture,he thinks he's an astronomer...)

100_0443.jpg

100_0445.jpg

100_0446.jpg

100_0448.jpg

looks like you have a great place to do visual from mate. are you in a rural area? I noticed your new diagonal to. What's it like?

Hi Bobby,

Yes,I have pretty good skies far as pollution goes.The main town(pop. between 50 to 60,000) is about 12 miles/19 kilometers to my ESE.I consider my locale as rural,but it's turning more suburban all the time.

The dielectric...I'm still evaluating it.I used it last night,had beautiful cloud free skies.So far,I am pleased with it.It seems to reveal a little more nebulosity,and appears like it might be helping resolve clusters a little better.(notice the frequent use of the word 'little'.)

I just want to be sure it was worth the upgrade before I recommend it to any one.

I am really looking forward to trying my hand at the photography aspect of astronomy.

Hi Guys,

Here is my setup. It's an N11GPS with a Skywatcher 80ED piggy backed. I've also got a HEQ5-PRO eq mount for the Skywatcher. I ended up getting the EQ mount so I could do more imaging of the southern sky. It gets very tight trying to get the camera, etc to turn though the fork arms so that the N11GPS is pointing south. Now hopefully with the HEQ5-PRO I've got all areas of the sky covered :)

I've also done a bit of a write up on the pier design here for anyone that is interested.

Regards,

Stephen

As you can see,I am for the moment set up for visual observing only.After buying the scope a few months back,and a few exta goodies,I 'm gonna have to save some money up for some atrophotography gear.(I can already tell that's where my interest is headed...

Yeah your garden looks great for astronomy. I'm sure a dome will appear in there sometime in the next year or two. Interesting what you say about that diagonal. I must admit, this is one thing I've never invested any money into. I probably should though.

Oh and that guy who thinks he is an astronomer? There's a guy like that at my house to. :Chessy_Smile:

Hi Guys,

Here is my setup. It's an N11GPS with a Skywatcher 80ED piggy backed. I've also got a HEQ5-PRO eq mount for the Skywatcher. I ended up getting the EQ mount so I could do more imaging of the southern sky. It gets very tight trying to get the camera, etc to turn though the fork arms so that the N11GPS is pointing south. Now hopefully with the HEQ5-PRO I've got all areas of the sky covered :)

I've also done a bit of a write up on the pier design here for anyone that is interested.

Regards,

Stephen

Nice setup Steve, I know what you mean about fork arms, those things are annoying. Especially when you live in the Southern Hemisphere, all the fruit is South! That pier looks nice and solid. I noticed you left grass around the pier rather than place slabs near it. I guess the soft soil reduces vibrations?

Do you leave your scope mounted and just cover it or do you remove it after every session?

Regards

Ray