Sign in to follow this  
Mick

Endeavor lift off on NASA TV

Around 8:30am Qld time Ray, shame you missed it it was awesome. There should be some good video of spacewalks and work on the ISS in the next week and a half. The landing will be telecast on that link as well.

For those of you who have not been watching NASA TV, you are missing some amazing things.

Some people spend their saturday nights watching a DVD movie, other's are down the pub drinking huge amounts of beer, I happen to be watching the shuttle dock with the space station whilst it is travelling faster than 5 miles per second and of course it's all live. So, what is everyone else up to tonight?

Ray

There is some interesting viewing for sure. Just been watching them inspect some slight damage to the heat tiles on the bottom of Endeavor with the ISS robotic boom.

Space walk tonight was amazing. Still watching it, been going for ages. Astronauts are attached to the robotic arm servicing the space station whilst it's travelling at 5km's per second. Great views of Earth. Sunrise and sunset every 20 minutes.

Take a look if you get a chance.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/live_tv.html

The alarm is set for 2am 22-08-07, Endeavor should land around 30min later at 2:32am Eastern Australia time weather permitting. :thumbsupmate:

The alarm is set for 2am 22-08-07' date=' Endeavor should land around 30min later at 2:32am Eastern Australia time weather permitting. :thumbsupmate:[/quote']

Awsome Mick. I'll try and get up for this as well. Hop in the chat room when ya log on and I'll hopefully be in there (if I'm not in there, sleep got the better of me).

Ray

I missed the WA Burn Mick. But how good was the landing. Gotta love the Heads Up Display Footage when it's coming in.

Endeavour hits the runway (this is standard) at an angle 7 times steeper and 7 times faster than a commercial passenger jet.

On re-entry it weighs 100 tonnes.

So you have a 100 ton glider travelling a 5 miles per second (when it first hits the atmosphere) trying to use wind resistance to slow down whilst coming in at an angle 7 times steeper than a passenger jet - Who wants to fly the shuttle? Anyone? :hmm:

So you have a 100 ton glider travelling a 5 miles per second (when it first hits the atmosphere) trying to use wind resistance to slow down whilst coming in at an angle 7 times steeper than a passenger jet - Who wants to fly the shuttle? Anyone? :hmm:

I think it would be safer for all concerned if I stick to the Playstation simulation! (Is there one?)