Sign in to follow this  
wingeing Pom

Very, VERY old data

Well this is quite extraordinary. I discovered a huge pile of DVDs last week and I just spent a few days downloading them all onto an HDD. The data was all very old (mostly around 2005) and is all taken with the original Hyperstar (no collimation or rotation adjusters) on a C11 with a tiny little H9C OSC CCD (1.4 Mpixels). Now as I had only JUST started off imaging, I knew absolutely nothing about sub-exposure times, or basically anything, so these two images were taken with 30 - 40-second subs, and there were 150 - 200 subs stacked for each image. As you can see - the Trapezium region of M42 is not completely blown out - unlike all my later "better" work!! So by pure luck I was actually doing better early on when I didn't know what I was doing compared to later on when I actually thought I'd learned a few things. This is not the first time that my initial best guess turned out to be almost optimum These images are from February 2005.

Fullorion_OrigHS_Forums.jpg

Trapezium_OrigHS_Forums.jpg

Ahh - looking at the FITS header I see that the close up of the Trapezium was at f#6.3 on the back of the C11 with 10-second exposures.

As I have access to the original FITS subs, I threw out 16 blobby images and was left with 36 x 10-second subs to stack. The result is a bit sharper :)

Greg

Trapezium_f6pt3_34subs_10secs_Forums.jpg

• Like 1

Be interesting to try some blink software on your old and new data to see if there are any minor changes in the nebula or stars. 

Ray

• Like 1