Sign in to follow this  
wingeing Pom

StarXTerminator as a processing tool

Noel Carboni has been applying Russ Croman's StarXTerminator software to some of my old data. Here is an extremely interesting example of what can be done. This is the region from the Gamma Cass nebulosity down to the PacMan nebula in Cassiopeia. In the starry image you can only make out the brightest parts of the Gamma Cass nebula. In the highly reduced stars image you can actually see the full extent of the crashing wave. I find this result quite remarkable. It shows that in the right hands Russ Croman's StarXTerminator can completely revolutionise your nebula image processing.

Greg

GammaCass_and_Pacman.jpg

In this particular image, a definite improvement to enhance/bring more focus to the nebula.  I am sure this is more 'automatic' in it's execution. 

Using a DSLR when I was doing deep sky imaging, I didn't have this problem :lol: 

However, I did create my own 'star reduction' tool in my very old PS CS3, which theoretically, could be altered to a degree, depending on how much 'reduction' one wanted.

How to remove stars from an image using Photoshop CS3 (lockhartobservatory.com)

Tim

• Like 2

17 hours ago, timthelder said:

In this particular image, a definite improvement to enhance/bring more focus to the nebula.  I am sure this is more 'automatic' in it's execution. 

Using a DSLR when I was doing deep sky imaging, I didn't have this problem :lol: 

However, I did create my own 'star reduction' tool in my very old PS CS3, which theoretically, could be altered to a degree, depending on how much 'reduction' one wanted.

How to remove stars from an image using Photoshop CS3 (lockhartobservatory.com)

Tim

Very nice Tim!

Greg

For his demo of STarXTerminator Russ Croman uses the Veil Nebula. The attached image shows why this one is a good choice.

Greg

Veil_Composite_NB_Plus_RGB_SX_Forums.jpg

Love it Prof. I will be using this software in due course.

Ray