Sign in to follow this  
wingeing Pom

Russ Croman's Star XTerminator

Very recently I downloaded the free trial of Russ Croman’s StarXTerminator to check out how it fared with some of my images. Better with some than others, as to be expected, and I was not yet fully on-board with actually splashing out on a purchase.

But then Noel Carboni sent me a JWST image he’d quickly worked on trying to remove those repulsive 8 diffraction spikes around all bright stars. The result was much improved, but far from ideal. So Noel’s effort prompted me to try Russ Croman’s program on the same image – and you can see the result below.

Russ – you have a belter of a program there! I think you should be talking to NASA about doing a deal cleaning up their lousy JWST images.

Oh – and yes – of course – I will now be purchasing StarXTerminator!!

Greg

stsci-pillarsofcreation1280c_Croman.jpg

stsci-pillarsofcreation1280c.jpg

And if you run Photoshop's "Despeckle" tool to get rid of the dots and then use the "Spot Healing Brush" tool to get rid of the stragglers - you end up with this.

Greg

JWST_n.jpg

10 hours ago, Radar said:

That's quite impressive.

Ray

I think it's really fu**ing impressive! And having just spoken to Russ - I now know why. He actually taught his neural net on JWST and Hubble images. He's a VERY smart guy!!!!

Greg

21 hours ago, wingeing Pom said:

I think it's really fu**ing impressive! And having just spoken to Russ - I now know why. He actually taught his neural net on JWST and Hubble images. He's a VERY smart guy!!!!

Greg

Geesuz! 

Ray

• Like 1