Dragon Man

My Current gear April 2020

Ray was asking what gear I am currently using and I couldn't find a 'Members Equipment" section. so I stuck it in here :lol:

Here ya go:

NOTE: ignore where I labelled the large scope as an 8 inch. It is a 6 inch  t1816.gif OOPS!

Scopes April 2020 - 2.jpg

Control room desk april 2020 - 2.jpg

Monitors1.jpg

Edited by Dragon Man
scope size mistake
  • Thanks 1

Very cool setup Ken. I love how you have multiple monitors. I have a similar setup in my obs with monitors. Your 8 inch comment is simply a Freudian slip, meaning you subconsciously want a bigger scope. :P

Ray

Yep love multiple monitors. I plan on adding 1 more to my obs (currently 2) which will work perfectly for me with the software I run. No pics of my obs warm room untill I clean it up a bit ;).

Shane

1 hour ago, poppasmurf said:

No pics of my obs warm room untill I clean it up a bit

Same for me. Good news for me thouogh, I just got my Ob PC fixed up, just reinstalled all my software, so hopefully shoot some DSO's this week (first time in ages). 

Ray

• Like 1

On 24/04/2020 at 10:40 AM, Radar said:

Very cool setup Ken. I love how you have multiple monitors. I have a similar setup in my obs with monitors. Your 8 inch comment is simply a Freudian slip, meaning you subconsciously want a bigger scope. :P

Ray

LOL!!! Nothing Freudian Ray, I already have the same scope in 8 inch, but the longer focal length increases magnification giving me a slightly smaller FOV, which I don't want, and I can't use a Focal Reducer without adding a Coma Corrector. I've tried :blink:  And it's too many dollars to fix it  :lol:

So it's the 6 inch or lose FOV.

The dual monitors are a real blessing, It makes it easier to keep watching the capture window while doing other stuff.

Also, having a totally separate computer for Guiding is soooooo much better. It's only an old 10 inch notebook. And I can also use it as another capture device if I want to view on two cameras simultaneously.  But the best bit of gear I have is the Synscan WiFi setup. I do GoTo's using multiple planetarium softwares (Cartes du Ciel, Stellarium) wirelessly with a simple single mouse click, and I never have to do the old "Date, Time, Location, Daylight Saving, 3 star alignment" procedures any more. Just turn on the power and go to something :)

8 hours ago, Dragon Man said:

but the longer focal length increases magnification giving me a slightly smaller FOV,

Yes, you would be right. I'm shooting at an extremely narrow FOV with a C14 @ prime. I do miss my wider field of view though. I've never used a Synscan, but I have used a GPS on my old Losmandy, and it was a luxury not having to type everything into her each time. Do you network your obs with your phone or iPad? Very handy for when its too cold to sit outside. 

Ray

14 hours ago, Radar said:

Yes, you would be right. I'm shooting at an extremely narrow FOV with a C14 @ prime. I do miss my wider field of view though. I've never used a Synscan, but I have used a GPS on my old Losmandy, and it was a luxury not having to type everything into her each time. Do you network your obs with your phone or iPad? Very handy for when its too cold to sit outside. 

Ray

Ray, I don't need to network with the obs. I never sit outside. It's more comfortable in the Obs Control Room than sitting at home via networking, especially with the heater running in the Obs in winter :lol:

I also get to sit alone in the Obs, not have wifey chatting away to me in the house  b0201.gif

On 4/28/2020 at 11:05 PM, Dragon Man said:

I also get to sit alone in the Obs, not have wifey chatting away to me in the house 

lol, we all know what that's like mate. :P

Ray

• Haha 1