Hi All. Have just ordered a Skywatcher Black Diamond 90X900mm Refractor Telescope from Greg at NVT My local Astro store.   Having been in Non-spending mode for quite a long time, had accumulated a few pennies and decided to grab this unit.  A tad over $400 with postage and a manual Alt/Az mount. These mounts lend themselves to being motorised very simply by obtained geared 9Volt control boxes replacing the hand control knobs.  I have done this with an earlier manual mount. which I have for my MAK90. 

This and the MAK90 can easily be tossed into the car and drive to a dark paddock and without busting my back with my larger DOBS,

Now all we need now is for this cloud to pack up and disappear and the postie deliver to get on board with a bit more activity..

Cheers Dave.  :) 

Greg was unable to get the Refractor, so he went through his stock and came up Skywatcher Black Diamond Maksutov 127mm x f1500mm OTA. He whittled the price down to bare bones and I just had to find a few more DB.  Saved shipping and picked up as NVT is only 15 mins from my place. :)

With 2" Focuser w/- 90 deg adapter 28mm 2" Super plossle. Adapter rings for 1.25" eyepieces. 

Dave :)

sky-watcher-127-1500-black-diamond-maksutov-cassegrains-telescope_1.jpg.d86bfcc2eeed4f3d0ff030963d55dec2.jpg

Very nice Dave. I had a Skywatcher Maksutov once, was a great little scope, they pack a punch. 

Ray

I have the SW Mak90/900 which I was very impressed with, the 270/1500 is brilliant. I managed to set both up to compare and had a few glimpses of the Moon and Venus the last 2 evenings. Comparing the two, the 90 is good with a variable 25 - 8mm, set to 8mm,  but the 127, with an "Angel Eyes" 2" 26mm with a Moon and Lightglow filter on is brilliant, incredible focus ability and sharpness, that even my ancient eyes beheld the smallest pinpricks of craters with great clarity.  The provided SW 2" 28mm eyepiece has a local light exclusion cap is very good also. 

I have also picked up an EQ3 manual mount/tripod for half price from store, ex "demo" unit  - I also have a go-to motor control kit coming, from all places, The Ukraine. They were the cheapest of the the bunch. So, I have a setup far below the RRP.  Its good to occasionally have a few pennies put aside.  In any case the Govt is going to pay me back shortly :) 

If there's a break in the clouds will try the EOS750D on it.  Some interesting activity upstairs ATM. 

Dave

Awesome Dave. Yeah I remember mine, it really was a fantiastic little scope. I was amazing at how much of a punch they packed (that's the only way I can exmplain it). I used my Mak as a Guidescope for a few years whilst I was still shooting film. I still have a ton of kodak elite chrome 200 in the freezer for a rainy day. 

Ray

Its a super moon tonight.  Here's hoping for that cloud to back off and give us a break. !!

Dave

I had some slight issues with the tracking of the EQ6Pro. Its not been used for a long time, never the less, I captured a few shots of the Super Moon with the 127/1500, the focusing is very critical and my eyes are not the best. I need to plug a larger screen onto the 750D. These were taken in "Live Screen" Prime focus around 1/800. These are single images, lightly edited in "Paint.net". I have further series shots which I will put thru Registrax.  There is a new version just released.

Dave

IMG_0059.jpg.3641fed9e01f93efb2158aa99429061c.jpgIMG_0081.thumb.jpg.349990d7e3cca00bb0b5f5ea56b26c33.jpg

Popped off a few more shots 9th April  This one 1/2000 ISO1600.  Single frame. 

IMG_0041.jpg.9cbd18a96869cad8d88cd3ddcf30b2e0.jpg

They are very sharp consdireing the atmospheric shimmer you get when looking at the full moon. Coloured filter would those justice as well, maybe yellow would enchance surface detail. 

Ray

Also taken not so long after rising. Closer to the zenith would probably be better.  But early days, it's a complete new ball game  :)

Dave. 

What is the longest exposure you can do with that camera?

And I dropped my observatory PC off at the local computer repair place over the weekend. I'll be picking it up tomorrow, I haven't produced an image for about a year. Watching everyone else take shots is making me itchy. Been so busy with other things, AP had taken a back seat for a while. Can't wait to get going again though. 

Fingers crossed this weather holds out. 

Ray

Know what you mean Ray, The skies this past summer have been poor. I jagged a couple of clear nights after getting the Mak127.  

I have found a set of 2" moon filters and a threaded 2" collar which I have interfaced to an EOS lens adapter, I can now fit a filter to the 750D in prime focus.  I was going to buy a filter wheel, when I discovered the 2" filters. They are new, never used.  So I am now going through all my boxes of "bits"  :)

Dave

I have just found a SW BD 120/1000 refractor for under $600. I am tempted 2" focuser. Brand new............hmmm!

Dave

[Ray asked:] What is the longest exposure you can do with that camera?

As long as one wants. I have a couple of timers/programmers which can do multiple or single shots of whatever I want. the combination/time is unlimited.

I also have a battery pack which has a built in timer as well. 

Dave

3 hours ago, scorpius said:

I have just found a SW BD 120/1000 refractor for under $600. I am tempted 2" focuser. Brand new............hmmm!

Dave

Not only found but have grabbed it. Yeah under $600, shipping included. Now I am definitely going into "Non-Spending" mode. When we are allowed to stop washing hands and go for a bush drive, I now have something to look forward to. :)  

Awesome mate. I'm glad you purchased that. We have to have our big boy toys, that's what life is about. Post a snap shot once it arrives please. 

Ray

Ray, As you saw I originally was looking for the SW BD 90/900 Refracter and Greg at NVT found me  the MAK127 instead. He really slashed the price for me.

The people at OZScopes Also did the right thing with the 120/1000 OTA. I have also purchased other accessories from them.  It is interesting with all this C19 kerfuffle going on. A number of Astro shops I made enquiries of who are saying "Business as usual"  did not even reply, obviously they are overwhelmed with orders :)  

But I must say the 2 mentioned above have been outstanding in their communication and service.  That is something that appeals to me to return ordering.  Was joking with an Astro friend of many years, maybe the next thing will be a 20" truss dobsonion Ha ha ... $15k is a tad over my budget ATM...   

Yeah will do a photo shoot when I get all the parts etc. I am waiting on upgrades to the basic EQ3 mount I picked up for half price. Fitting that with RA/Dec drives will work nicely with the MAK127 or the 120/1500 reflector.  Of course I still have the EQ6Pro which is working great.  I got that out and whacked the 10" Dob on it and have been driving that around the skies, giving it a full test run.

I have a brick storeroom built onto  the side of my house. I am going to empty that and put some racks in there and use as an Astro 'shed'  I also contains the batterry bank off my Solar system. 

In conclusion all we need now is for that darn tropical cloud to quit drifting down from the north :)

Dave

On 4/20/2020 at 12:18 PM, scorpius said:

In conclusion all we need now is for that darn tropical cloud to quit drifting down from the north :)

There is no chance of that happening mate, lol. 

It doesn't surprise me though that astro retailers are busy, people have more time on their hands, and astro is a great way to pass the time. We probably forget the learning curve, but for newbies there is a lot to learn. It is a stimulating skill to learn, I can imagine all the newbs out there spending their time reading books on AP and visual. 

Ray