poppasmurf

M20 RGB 2 pane Mosaic

Man that is a "lot" of work. i collected around 15 hours worth of RGB and around 8 hours processing my first mosaic. Works out to 4.5 hours integration time for each RGB pane. I don't think I'll try for mor than 2 panes at this point. Trying to get my head around building a mosaic in PI from individual R, G, & B subs and merge them is a bit of a mind blower.

Shane

M20_RGB_Mosaic.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks mate. It was an eye opener for sure, not so much the final result, although I am wrapped with it, or amount of data needed for mosaics, but the amount of time involved in processing a mosaic is quite astounding. At this stage I definately won't be attempting anything bigger than 2 panels.:wacko:

Shane

On 31/08/2019 at 4:36 PM, poppasmurf said:

Trying to get my head around building a mosaic in PI from individual R, G, & B subs and merge them is a bit of a mind blower

Great effort my mate. And yes, PI is a mind bending experience. Some crazy looking dust lanes as well, wow!

Ray

• Like 1

Cheers mate. I am now looking forward to collecting the Luminance data to add to it for a real punch in the face.

Shane

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesuuuzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow mate! You are killing it. I love the dark nebulae sitting in front of the emission. What is your image processing software / flow?

Ray

PI mate after basic cal and reg i go channel combine, linearfit, dynamiccrop, dynamicbackgroundextractio, backgroundneutralization, colourcalibration or photometriccolourcal, MTAStarshrink, MLT, Histotransform, HDRmultiscale lineartransform, LHE, curvestransformation, LRGBcombine, Dynamiccrop maybe, ACDNR, SCNR. Sorry bout the PI jargon. Just conversing with a bloke that wants to use some of my astropics for gaming mats.

Shane

No worries on the PI jargon, PI is jargon. I got a ton of stuff on my observatory PC that requires processing. When I bought PI I went through it with a fine tooth comb and performed some great processing with it. However I found that if I had a two month hiatus from it, I would need to rehash the learning curve, and being so time poor, images are left unprocessed. I love PI but I find it is not intuitive. I think it needs to be used regularly in order to harness all its great features. For example, some noise reduction algorithms are better for galaxies or nebula, but instead of calling them that, they give them highly mathematical names that really mean little to the average person. From a business perspective, the easier they make it, the more subscriptions they'll maintain. AP processing for me at the moment has to be point and click (for me that makes it more enjoyable). I love the image acquisition side, but I find myself looking for software that can deliver fast results. I used to spend hours processing, which I didn't mind, however at the moment I can't afford that kind of time. 

That is awesome about the gaming mats. You are doing well my mate. 

Ray

Have you checked out APP Astro Pixel Processor? It's more point and click processing and by all accounts as good as PI.

Shane

No mate, I'll watch some videos on youtube and possibly download the demo. Thanks for the tip. 

Ray