now just need the weather to play nice

image.jpeg

I have now had a chance to polar align and have a short semi serious play with the mount. To say I’m pleased would be an understatement, the ease of use, from pa to star align and everything else is quite astonishing after the NEQ6. The hand control box is very intuitive unlike synscan hand control box. Works seamlessly with both control box and pc connection at same time.
I am also trialling voyager acquisition software and the guiding results from the mount were awesome with phd2 sitting around 0.4rms error which is around 3-4 times better than I was used to getting with the hyper tuned NEQ6. I highly recommend a CEM60. I can only imagine how much better the CEM60EC would be. I’m sure after I fine tune pa and learn all the software things will improve even more. Absolutely zero complaints.

I am aware this is not a premium mount, BUT, the way it behaves by disappearing into the background without issue makes it feel like I am using a premium mount that cost much more.

Shane

My first test image using Voyager and the new mount, NGC 6559. GSO RC8 CF, Moravian G2 2000, CEM60. 2 hrs integration of L and R frames from last night before cloud rolled in. So far I am really liking Voyager, now to work on more than just a basic image session. This is with no calibration frames.

Shane

ngc6559.jpg

On 06/07/2019 at 8:12 AM, poppasmurf said:

To say I’m pleased would be an understatement,

Wow mate, that's good news. That's how equipment is supposed to make us feel. Test shot is awesome. Can't wait to see how your first serious imaging run goes. Are you only using voyager for image acquisition? If so, what were you using and is voyager better?

Ray

18 hours ago, Radar said:

Wow mate, that's good news. That's how equipment is supposed to make us feel. Test shot is awesome. Can't wait to see how your first serious imaging run goes. Are you only using voyager for image acquisition? If so, what were you using and is voyager better?

Ray

Hi mate, Voyager is aquisition and observatory control with fail safes to shut down and close obs if automated. There are a couple of aspects of Voyager that I like better, auto focus and plate solve seem to work better for me which is a big factor for my situation. 

As to what I were using, APT AstrophotographyTool, is it better or not? Tough choice but APT is cheaper and in many ways a lot easier to us, but I have had problems with auto focus and plate solving so tried Voyager and I believe it is a better all round performer for my needs. Even if it is more expensive and slightly more difficult to learn. When I say difficult to learn that is not to say it is hard to learn at all just different from APT.

Hope that is clear as mud for you Ray.:P

Voyager is well worth a look, it has a demo mode that never runs out but is limited to 1hr sessions, a 45 day free trial which reverts back to demo mode, or a full licence for ever with 12 month support/update and a renewal support/update option on a yearly subscription.

Shane

• Like 1

Great Stuff.. I found that the FTDI  control Cable/ Driver Software works well on My Dell Laptop to my EQ6Pro. running Stellarium/Ascom

I had heck and all issues using Carte du Ciel with FTDI. 

https://www.ftdichip.com/FTContact.htm

Noted on the Clouds Ray, when we did have a couple of cloud free nights the temps plummeted to 3 or 4C !!  Just cannot win. 

Dave

On 18/07/2019 at 5:22 PM, scorpius said:

Noted on the Clouds Ray, when we did have a couple of cloud free nights the temps plummeted to 3 or 4C !!  Just cannot win. 

Mate I did manage to get some solar observing done last Sunday whilst we had a quick bit of blue sky, but the clear sky did not hang around for long. And as luck would have it, I woke up extra early the other day and then remembered we had a lunar eclipse on, so walked outside and got an eye full before the cold morning walked me back inside. The weather is quite nasty at the moment., that's for sure.  

Ray

Wow just wow. The more I use this mount and the better I understand it the more it amazes me. I have just finished a 3 hr imaging run and after a small tweak on the RA balance this arvo the guiding has improved even more with a 0.39 RMS error over the 3 hrs in PHD2. That is the best guiding I have ever had.

Shane