I pulled the trigger today on a new mount. Ioptron CEM60. There is a bit of a wait for production to catch up, but should be here in about 6 weeks. 

The minister of finance and war was none too pleased but so be it.

AHHH bring on the cloud.;):P

Shane

• Like 1

Organised to have a pier plate made by my brother today. That way I wont have to wait when the mount arrives. It's very handy having a brother that owns an engineering business :P.

Even handier when you can take a cad drawing to him so he doesn't have to draw one up himself.

Shane

Geesuz! Nice toy mate. Can't wait for you to get it. 

Ray

• Like 1

I can thank Tony for the info he provided for making me look at this mount. The other alternative, buying a premium mount, was extremely unlikely. I have only seen good reviews no matter how hard I try to find a bad one, except perhaps for the early days of the mount. Having said that, by all accounts Ioptron after sales service seems to be exceptional. Now I can't wait for it to arrive, it's possible that I will get 2 new arrivals very close together, as my eldest daughter is due to have a baby soon as well, number 3 grandchild B).

Shane

On 11/05/2019 at 6:51 AM, poppasmurf said:

it's possible that I will get 2 new arrivals very close together, as my eldest daughter is due to have a baby soon as well, number 3 grandchild 

Epic mate. Keep us posted, we like to share in other's excitement. 

Ray

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Radar said:

Epic mate. Keep us posted, we like to share in other's excitement. 

Ray

No probs mate.

On another note, I advertised the NEQ6 on another forum as well and had 1 nibble already. Although he may balk at cost of shipping to Brisvegas, my guess is it wont exactly be cheap shipping it anywhere due to the weight.

Shane

I sent my Losmandy G11 to the U.S and imported my AP1600GTO from the U.S to Perth. Yeah shipping isn't cheap but there are good deals out there for slower air freight, just steer clear of the overnight express methods. 

Ray

• Like 1

Got an email from AstroShop letting me know the mount is on the way, still has to get to and clear customs and start heading to me. Not too long I hope.

I'm really looking forward to through the mount cabling to avoid snags and look a lot neater.

Shane 

Open that beer and prep that gear! First light is coming. I have no idea why I get excited when I see others buying nice kit. B)

Ray

• Like 1

Decomissioned NEQ6 on Thursday and started prep for CEM60. I got confirmation of delivery for Wednesday next week yesterday. Getting excited now.

Shane

She has arrived. What a thing of beauty. Quite a nice PE curve of just over 4 arc seconds peak to peak. Wont be doing much till my pier plate is ready on Monday but I will have a bit of a play on the bench in the mean time.

Shane

MyCEM60.jpg

CEM60PE.jpg

ja, ja, ja, geesuz! for some strange reason only known to the Universe I share your enjoyment. Send us some pics once it is setup on Monday or Tuesday my friend. Enjoyment in AP comes from a good mount, everything else is just trinkets (to an extent). B)

Ray

• Like 1

Got the pier plate home today, now waiting for the paint to dry. And guess what, the bloody rain is coming down and looks like it will be cloudy for the next week at least. I should have known all new astro gear comes with cloud, just been a while since I've made any new purchases.LOL.

Will post more pics later as I get it all commissioned.

Shane

• Haha 1

Mount is installed on pier in the observatory. Still need to polar align but weather needs to cooperate. Also need to tidy up cabling.

So far I have noticed a couple of things. 
First:
This mount is rather hard to balance due to its ultra smooth operation in both axis’. Not a gripe just an observation as I was used to the NEQ6 which was quite a bit stiffer(read, “a lot”), even with new bearings. 
Second:
This is a small gripe. Considering very few, if any, modern pc’s have a serial port and the fact that mount manufacturers seem to want to stick with outdated RS232, then it would be nice if an RS232 to USB converter were included with the mount so that it can be connected to a pc. So now I need to get a converter to connect to my obs pc, this is partly my fault as I did know I would need one, and also that one isn’t provided, but I forgot.

Above factors aside the mount seems very easy to operate with the hand box.

Shane

cem60 pier plate.jpg

cem60(1).jpg

cem60(2).jpg

cem60(3).jpg

cem60(4).jpg

cem60(5).jpg

It looks killer mate. I agree with the RS232 gripe, even my AP came with two of those plugs, however I already had the adapters. I think the theory is that the RS232 plugs are water tight and can be screwed into the mount as opposed to push fit USB which can come loose or allow moisture into the plugs. That's the only advantage I can see.

Ray

P.S Don't think I didn't notice that empty tin box of sweets in your observatory. I know what you've been doing out there at night time. B)

• Like 1

G'day Ray, with the cable it is an RJ4 connection mount side and DB9 pc side so either need DB9 to usb or the way I have gone is a 5m  RJ4 to usb with a built in rs232 converter. My theory is a single cable to warm room pc is less likely to give issues over a cable with a extension joined on.

On another note got 2 new 5.2kg counter weights made for me at work, now I just need to paint them so they don't rust. 

Also looking into another software image aquisition package called Voyager. https://www.voyagerastro.com/products/voyager-features/

Still haven't been able to get out under the stars with it yet which sucks.

Shane

Interesting. Hopefully it is all setup though and ready to roll once the weather permits. We've had poor weather down here for the last 6 weeks. Let me know how that software goes.

Ray

All setup, balanced witing on pc cable.Although balance will need redoing once the paint dries on new counter weights.

Shane

New counterweights all finished and installed. These moved the moment of inertia up the shaft somewhat and as a bonus also made balancing a lot easier.

new counterweights.jpg

Looks great mate. Can't wait to see how the first imaging run goes.

Ray

cable finally arrived, now just need the weather to play nice. Not only am I trying out the new CEM60 but trying out new software,Voyager, for equipment control and image aquisition.

Let the fun begin.

Shane

On 02/07/2019 at 9:23 AM, poppasmurf said:

now just need the weather to play nice.

Image result for tom cruise laughing

• Haha 1