Yeah Yeah, I know! 

5 years since my last post. Just call me Captain Slack  :P

OK, here's where I am up to currently with Video Astronomy, apart from running a Video Astronomy Forum with a bloke called Davy in Scotland:

I now currently have 19 cameras :blink:

I have advanced through the Camera range waaayyy past the Mallincams, and into the latest CMOS high resolution cameras that are pretty much as fast as the Mallincams (Xtreme & Xterminator) but in much higher resolution giving far superior results. Gone are the ugly giant Mallincam blocky square stars.

The 4 cameras I use simultaneously now are a Revolution Imager RI2 Analogue as an all-sky finderscope, a RisingSky 224 CMOS in my 50mm Finder/Guidescope, a Revolution Touptek 224 CMOS in the ED80 which is piggybacked on top of my 6" f5 Achromat with a RisingSky 6.5mp G3 CMOS.

My scopes and Mount haven't changed much over the last 15 years, only the cameras. I'm still using much the same gear as last time I posted 5 years ago, just better cameras.

Here's a sample of what I now get with these better cameras, in seconds:  :)

(remember, in Video Astronomy these are all single screen grabs of Live views with absolutely NO post-processing. Straight off the camera)

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Ken

CARINA NEBULA

Carina 30s x 1.jpg

OMEGA CENTAURI

Omega Cent 10s x 1.jpg

M4 GLOB

M4 30s x 1.jpg

Dragon Man! Where have you been hiding! Good to see you are getting some photons my friend. 19 cameras is a bit steep, my missus would kill me. 

Welcome back.

Ray

• Thanks 1

Thanks Shane and Ray :)

Here's 2 more from last night.

These two were taken with the 6" f5 Achromat Focal reduced 0.7x

Who says fast Achromats are crap? :lol:

Cheers,

Ken

M83-6-inch-x-3-stacks.jpg

Sombrero-6-inch-x-3-stacks.jpg

• Like 2

On 17/03/2019 at 3:32 PM, Dragon Man said:

Who says fast Achromats are crap?

Not me mate. In fact the fast scope are quite handy for a bunch of stuff. I like M83. I'll have to revisit that one later this year (once the cloud moves away).

Ray

• Like 1

Yeah good looking rig. What do you use the four cameras for? Looks like you have two or even three guide cameras. 

Ray

On 19/03/2019 at 12:54 PM, poppasmurf said:

That's quite a load on the EQ6. How close to limit are you mate?

Shane

Nowhere near the limit Shane.

Those huge 6" f/5 Achromats aren't as heavy as they look  :lol:  It is only 9kg.

and ED80's are super light. The cameras weigh about the same as an eyepiece. The little ones weigh less than eyepieces!

On 21/03/2019 at 2:21 PM, Radar said:

Yeah good looking rig. What do you use the four cameras for? Looks like you have two or even three guide cameras. 

Ray

Ray, the Revolution RI2 (Analogue) up top is used as a super-widefield finderscope that goes to a small monitor separate from the computer monitors. It gives me approximately 10 degree FOV.

The IMX224 in the Guidescope/finderscope is just used as a closer finderscope and also for guiding if I ever want to guide (which I rarely ever do). It is connected to a small laptop computer and runs in PHD2.

The next IMX224 in the ED80 is for viewing/imaging/Live Video, and so is the IMX178 in the 6" Achromat.

The IMX224's are used by some as guide cameras but they are excellent small light 1.2mp imaging cameras. That's their most popular use. They are quite good at imaging, and extremely sensitive for video work.

The IMX178 is a lot slower than the 224's and is 6.4mp, so it is a great imaging camera. Both the 224 and the 178 are far more sensitive than usual astro imaging cameras. What normally takes minutes to capture takes only seconds in these cameras. They aren't really recommended for serious astrophotography. They are recommended for Live and Near-Live Video Astronomy or fast imaging.

I use the 224 in the ED80 and the 178 in the 6" Achro as my main cameras. They are the ones I use for Viewing/Broadcasting/fast Imaging etc. In the software (RisingSky) I simply switch back and forth between the two cameras :)