poppasmurf

Procrastination over

Alright, procrastination is over. Mount has been removed from pier and ready for a service and check up. There is something not quite right inside and it's time to find out what. Tomorrow I will start the disassembly.

Hopefully I find an easy to fix problem that will reinstate decent guiding, and allow me to get back to imaging. I have missed quite a few good nights trying to solve the guiding issue and then procrastinating over stripping the mount and servicing it. I'll report back any findings.

Ideally I would like to upgrade the NEQ6 but alas funds (read Minister of Finance and War) wont allow it at this time.

Shane

• Like 1

I thought I kept the subs but alas not. Instead of a point source of light it was like many in a rectangle shape approx 1 inch x 3/4 inch all of the same star. It was like it guided for 10 sec or so made an adjustment, guided for another 10 sec another adjustment of 50 ish pixels. and so on.

I did find 2 issues, first, the counterweight bar had come loose, not sure how that happened but an easy fix, second,  a couple of main axis bearings were not in great shape (one on RA and one on Dec), also rather easy fix. Just to be safe while replacing 2 dud bearings I replaced all 6 main axis bearings. Mount is now back on pier, all gear mounted, balanced, and daytime tested. Now I just need a clear night to assess it all. At this point the only adjustment I can foresee is a small backlash adjustment on the RA but I wont know until I can try it out.

Shane

Finger crossed mate. Cloud here at the moment, very annoying during new moons, I have a ton of data to process after a long drought. 

Ray

Yep clouds here as well. super annoying, still have to polar align and calibrate the guiding before doing a test run.

Shane

• Like 1