scorpius

T7 Astronomical Camera

I have found a set of images of the Cloned T7 Astrocam   (ZWO ASI120c) I purchased. I will save a few thousand words with the images which are self explanatory.  As you can see its very versatile and can be used as a stand alone cam, as a prime focus cam or a guiding camera. It also has a guiding feature with supported mounts.  Prices vary on EBay but around $100 - $128 AUD. Software and drivers available from ZWO web. You need to download all to work.  The "Asicap" software contain a full rundown on setup and use in a Help PDF file. 

Dave

T7 Camera.jpg

T71.jpg

T72.jpg

T73.jpg

This is an image by manufacturer of what the camera is capable of.  Does not give any further detail but does look quite good.  When our Clouds with meatballs and gravy disappear I will try it out.

Dave

Moon1T7.jpg.d1746473500d5750e1aab1c4d449787f.jpg

• Like 1

Geesuz Dave, that's actually quite good. I'd like to know what processing they did. 

Ray

On 19th Feb (Full Super Moon) I set up the 10" SW dob on the EQ6Pro and plugged in the S7 camera.  Using Stellarium for guiding the scope and Asicap for the camera.  Skies were clear with no cloud, but there was a lot of atmospheric heat aberration. Very common here during the summer months causing rippling of image. 

Previously I had driven the cam on test around the kitchen using the stand alone lens.  On this occasion I used it in prime focus with the 70% aperture ring.  As the image shows it has ginormous magnification. Focusing was somewhat difficult as it appears the Dell 1500 laptop was having memory issues and lagging, so focusing was a hit/miss issue. The S7 is quite complex in setting up using the ZWO software, and on the first run I failed to limit the number of frames and it banged off 5G worth of images and files!!  Each image is also accompanied by a text file which gives the parameters of the shot.

Eventually I got things setup and reasonably stable and  set the frame batch rate at 10 frames per run 16bit RAW.  

The 2 images below are

#1  single unprocessed image as taken by the camera. 

#2 is 10 images, stacked in Registax  and touched up in Photo Shop 

Not the best of my attempts, but does show the potential of the device.  I have a spare Dell 790 (SFF) which has a better video card and RAM

I will later check it out and dig deeper into the intricacies of the beast.   

At least I scored a break in the cloud cover that rolls in regularly every night......   Last night (20th) very cloudy by 3am blocking the moon and everything else. 

I have since cleaned the mirrors of the 10", they were not the best having been in storage for over a year.

Dave

Reg2002.jpg.ee5a8bf604e14b5785d892f1c777b77d.jpg

Reg2002s.jpg.481eedb7da1ef1c762941a449e6cecc6.jpg

• Like 1

FWIW...  Here is a sample of the txt file that accompanies each frame of photos taken.

[ZWO ASI120MC]
Auto Exp Max Exp = 30ms
Auto Exp Max Gain = 50
Auto Exp Target Brightness = 100
Bin = 1
Brightness = 0
Capture Area Size = 1280 * 960
Colour Format = RAW8
Debayer Preview = ON
Exposure = 193us
Flip = None
Gain = 44
Hardware Bin = OFF
High Speed Mode = OFF
Mono Bin = OFF
Output Format = *.PNG
OverClock = %
Raw Foramt = OFF
StartX = 0
StartY = 0
Temperature = 29.0 C
Timestamp Frames = OFF
Turbo USB = 40
White Balance (B) = 95
White Balance (R) = 52

Spot the spelling mistake ??  RAW Foramt     (Format?)

Dave

PS.  0400WAST 23/02  WX 95% cloud. Will it never end.  

• Like 1

Mentioned it to ZWO service dept.   Very nice reply by return mail. Said, Thanks. Does not affect operation, but will correct it anyway. 

Dave.

I might have to get one of these cameras Dave. I'll check them out on eBay. 

Ray

Yeah.  I have not been the best lately so getting things up and running have not been as good as I would have liked.  Suggest you shop around there are quite a variation in prices. Also have a look on Ali Express.  Shipping from there is much faster.  But I am quite impressed with it -  When I feel a bit better will try some planetary shots. 

Dave

Ray  You can get it for $109 with the discount voucher here   You need to get the T7C   which is color  the T7M is mono 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/T7C-Electronic-Telescope-ST4-Guide-Star-Camera-CMOS-Equatorial-Extension-Tube/264015942551?epid=24025345592&hash=item3d78939397:g:nkEAAOSwteFb2Y7s:rk:25:pf:0

You will need to download the ZWO software mentioned earlier and the ASICAP software.

I have copies if you run into strife. :)

Dave

Cheers mate, going to order one tomorrow. 

Ray