wingeing Pom

Comet Wirtanen 46P

Very nice mate. Good little comet that. Looked like a faint fuzzy patch in my binoculars. 

Ray

• Like 1

Nice capture.  As usual Perth and West Coast is plagued with cloud cover every night.  The Met Office are forecasting a more than average hot Christmas this year for 6 years.

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Yes, we went down to the coast to see this and the geminids, and of course, cloud rolls in. Annoying considering the time of year. 

Regards

Ray

• Like 1

Australia under a massive combination  trough.   My Wx station recorded 41.5C today WA had very high fire warning for entire State.

Some of those Hail stones measured up to 80mm in diameter in Sydney. !!

Dave

• Sad 1

On 22/12/2018 at 9:59 AM, scorpius said:

Australia under a massive combination  trough.   My Wx station recorded 41.5C today WA had very high fire warning for entire State.

Some of those Hail stones measured up to 80mm in diameter in Sydney. !!

Dave

Good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg

Marble Bar was 49 degrees. Its crazy. If it is clear over the next few nights, I've actually got time for the observatory. Fingers crossed. 

Ray

• Like 1

Ha ha try working on an Oil Rig (Big John) in the Timor Sea with those sort of temperatures accompanied by 90 to 100% humidity for 2 weeks at a time.  Water literally ran down the bulkheads (walls) of the rig It was hell for those on the drill floor and not much better in the so called airconditioned offices and messrooms etc. 

I also spent 2 years in Bahrein back in '54  It can get well up in the high 40's in summer especially daunting for newcomers when coming in on a plane, when they open the doors the heat rushes in like when you open an oven. That's when BOAC Argonaut's and DC3's regularly flew the skies. Had those long whirly things on the wings!

At least the money was good on the oil rigs :)

Dave

8 hours ago, scorpius said:

That's when BOAC Argonaut's and DC3's regularly flew the skies. Had those long whirly things on the wings!

Crazy. Got any pictures of those or the rigs back then? Would have been vastly different times and technology. 

Ray