Tony

Eastern Veil

Switched out my Celestron CGEM for an iOptron CEM60 mount which I now use for imaging. took this of the Eastern Veil over about two and a half hours at 15 minutes per exposure with a Stellarvue 102CV scope and QHY8L camera.

east veil post.jpg

• Like 1

Nice colour and filaments Tony. Are the fires anywhere near you?

Ray

Not in Pasadena where we live, but along the coast about 50 miles away its horrific and smoke is everywhere. this area of the coastal plain has a history of burning to the sea when off shore winds pick up for centuries, but now people have populated the slopes so its dangerous. I was out of the imaging business for nearly six months after changing out my mount and getting the new one up to performing. when skies clear I hope to do more.

• Like 1

Very nice indeed. I wish I could afford to upgrade the mount, maybe one day. Thoughts on the Ioptron?

Shane

13 hours ago, Tony said:

I was out of the imaging business for nearly six months after changing out my mount and getting the new one up to performing.

I know this feeling. When I bought my C14 my Losmandy G11 couldn't guide. Took a year or two improving the gear boxes, motors, etc, until I finally took the plunge (a big plunge) and picked up an AP1600GTO. A good mount makes imaging enjoyable. 

Ray

I had a Celestron CGEM for about 8 years and it performed pretty well. Guiding graph was a bit jagged but within the first row of parallel lines on the graph. It also began to chatter when slewing so I decided to try an iOptron CEM60. I had gotten an iOptron 25P for portable imaging and was very impressed with the smoothness of the guiding and operation so I thought its big brother might be good. upon setting it up, by mistake I plugged my guiding camera into a power port. from there on I couldn't guide at all, so thinking the mount might have issues I sent it back to iOptron for repairs. They fiddled with it but found no problems and sent it back to me. I tried connecting the mount directly to the computer for guiding using a GPUSB box and PHD. Works fine and guiding is exceptional. They have a good polar alignment scope and illuminated rings to place Polaris in the right spot. Seems to be nearly perfect. I took the viel nebula using 15 minute subs for 10 exposures over a two hour and half period of time. all frames had perfectly round stars. guiding graph is attached in photo. So judgement is, its about as good as it gets for a mid priced mount so far, and super smooth operation. Not sure what to do with guiding though the camera to the mount as that doesn't work so I think I may have fried a circuit in my Starlight Express guiding camera, but it does send images tot he computer that I can use to guide using the GPUSB box and cables.

IMG_8606 guiding.JPG

• Like 1

That looks awesome mate. Have you opened up the starlight express? Those types of plugs may come with fusable resistors which pop if connected to power. Worth opening up and having a fiddle if you are handy with some electronics. Sometimes it is just a visual inspection to locate a burnt out component. 

Ray

• Like 1