Eric Mjolnir

1 Frame Wonder M8, M20, & M21

Hi all!

After a very long hiatus from anything astronomy I took a vacation and went to the Nebraska Star Party. My main goals there were to do some visual observing with my 20" Obsession Classic telescope from a pristine dark site. The goals were achieved in spades! I took one night there to set up the AT72ED and do some imaging. Well things went wrong all over the place and needless to say due to blue screens and a portable storage device failure I thought I was left with nothing. I did find 1 image that somehow was saved. It was a single raw frame of 180 seconds at ISO 800 with an unmodified Canon T3i. I shot this with the AT72ED on a guided Sky Watcher EQ-6. Image was processed with Digital Photo Professional, Photo Shop Elements 2018, and Astronomy Tools for Elements. After many iterations, I am satisfied that I have pulled as much information out of one frame of data as I am capable of with the tools I have. I tried very hard not to over cook or use to much noise reduction. I was lucky to be at such of a dark site that just one frame held so much information.

44113395944_f19e810da9_b.jpg

Eric

• Like 2

Wow, one sub! The question begs, why do we need an hours worth if you are getting results like that with one sub? I was in the U.S recently. I was in San Fran, San Diego and then Tuscon. Tuscon has the dark sky laws for Kitt Peak Observatory, the skies were amazing. 

Regards

Ray

• Like 2

Thanks guys.

I know it is hard to believe that is just one frame so I made a link to to the original CR2 file it came from. I would like to see if you all can get even more from the data than I did with my limited tools. Looking forward to seeing your results.

Drop Box CR2

Eric

14 hours ago, Eric Mjolnir said:

Thanks guys.

I know it is hard to believe that is just one frame so I made a link to to the original CR2 file it came from. I would like to see if you all can get even more from the data than I did with my limited tools. Looking forward to seeing your results.

Drop Box CR2

Eric

I have the file downloaded will have a crack at it in a while and post my result.

Shane

Very nice Shane. Makes me realize that I did get heavy handed with the noise reduction and saturation! Wish I could have salvaged more of the images. Micro SD card took a dump or I would have had 30 dithered of these images.

Eric

• Like 1

On 08/10/2018 at 7:25 PM, poppasmurf said:

30 images like that one would have been an amazing clean final image.

Yeah totally agree with Shane. That light pollution map is good. 

Ray

• Like 1