Hi guys, I think its time to add a UPS to the obs and need some advice. Not sure what size I actually need but am considering the following ones. I have a pc, 2 monitors, camera, dew straps, mount, warm room heater(I could dispence with if necessary).

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/UPS/UPS/45712-VALUE2200ELCD

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/UPS/UPS/67796-CP1500EPFCLCDa-AU

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/UPS/UPS/44933-VALUE1500ELCD

sugestions and reasons for choice would be appreciated.

Cheers Shane

The main point of a UPS is not to keep your whole system going during a power cut - but only to let you close things down in an orderly fashion when the power goes off.  So you don't put things like the dew straps and any heaters (dome rotators, aperture openers) or anything else on the UPS.

So with a PC, 2 monitors and the mount (plus camera) as the only thing on the UPS, something around 1500W capability should be more than enough.

Greg

• Like 1

What's the primary reason for using it mate? Closing the observatory in a power cut (if the obs is powered) or ensuring you do not lose data? 

Ray

On 8/27/2018 at 3:39 AM, Radar said:

What's the primary reason for using it mate? Closing the observatory in a power cut (if the obs is powered) or ensuring you do not lose data? 

Ray

Hi Ray, primary reason is power loss. I have had a couple of times where I have had power loss to obs for unknown reason and want to have time to power down pc, mount and camera.

Shane

Good idea mate. I have to agree, power loss can cause some serious issues. For example, my rotator wants to do a 360 turn every time it is turned on which is really dangerous for plugs and cables that don't have enough slack in them (the rotator is strong enough to snap plugs), so I always keep it unplugged in the event of a power loss. 

Ray

Yep, my biggest issue, apart from possible damage to pc, is that when the mount loses power it also loses where it is. So after any power loss I have to muck about, getting it back to a home position, and that is most likely not exactly the same as it was which throws out slews and positioning and needs to have PA etc redone.

Shane

Interesting. One thing my AP mount does it appear to remember where it is all the time. Admittedly I paid for the privilege of that though. The biggest draw card (apart from everything else) with the AP mounts is running the cables through the mount. I really find that useful. 

Ray

AP mount.......one of a few on my short list of dream mounts that I will probably never own. Others are 10 Micron and SB Paramount MX+.

Shane