poppasmurf

dead mount cable?

:angry:It appears my mount connection cable (EQDIRECT) may have kicked the bucket after 10 years of faithful service:frown:. I was out imaging last night when I had a strange loss of power to the entire observatory, pc, warmroom light, camera , mount, everything suddenly off in an instant and then back on moments later. PC rebooted, start the software up and connect equipment and all seemed fine, I got a couple of hours in before clouds rolled in. So today I went out to fix up mount park position which was out after losing connection to pc and had another power drop, and now mount will not connect. I think the eqdir cable may have gotten fried so I am out of business till I can get a replacement to test if that is the problem or a more serious issue like a dead mount.

I also have a strange looking issue with star shape which has only shown up after I installed a secondary mirror dew heater a while ago, I had forgotton about this as I haven't been able to get out for some time. I hope that if I remove the dew heater I'll get round stars again instead of awful multi flare like difraction spikes.

Shane

Before they totally rewired the estate I live on there were a LOT of power outages.  I didn't realise this until I built the first observatory.  Didn't bother me much until the third outage took out a mount control board, the dehumidifier, and the PC RAM.  Since that day I have had EVERYTHING on UPSs.  Only thing gone wrong since then was a filter wheel control board blowing from a nearby lightning strike - but there's very little you can do about close strikes :(

Greg

• Like 1

I have been thinking of eventually putting a UPS in, just haven't worked out what size I need. It might be time to upgrade my mount, if the minister of Finance and War will let me ;). A SB MyT or 10 Micron would be nice.B)

Shane

Just stick a 1kW UPS in, they're only £100 in the UK and it will power mount, computer, monitor, the lot.  I have 2 x 1kW UPSs in the MiniWASP observatory.

Greg

• Like 1

How annoying. Clear nights wasted and time spent being a detective isolating the culprit. Hope you get it fixed easily buddy.

Ray

• Like 1

Bugger, I got the new EQDIRECT cable but the USB extension cable is also fried. I tried to get one locally but no one has them so had to order one online so more waiting till the kit is back up and running.

Shane

How it is fried? It is dew getting into it? Weird. 

Ray

Not sure exactly Ray. I had a couple of power outs in the obs that were a tad strange. When I say strange I mean that I lost power to all gear in the obs but did not trip any overloads and power returned almost instantly (no power loss to garage or house), I "think" the usb extension was on the way out and may have caused the issue, possibly dew. I can't really complain about the lifespan of these usb entensions and eqdir cable as they are around 8-10 years old, and the fact they cop a pretty hard life with temp changes and dew, but it is still annoying when they go.

Shane

11 hours ago, poppasmurf said:

as they are around 8-10 years old, and the fact they cop a pretty hard life with temp changes and dew

Ditto mate. USB cables and the like are not designed for the cold damp temperatures that we put them through.

Ray

• Like 1