Trialling this software and so far really impressed, controls all gear and guiding and platesolving, as well as a heap of other useful tools (depending on version). The trial is a very generous 80 days, during which all 3 versions, Lite, Pro, and Advanced are available as full featured. Also does image stacking, calibration and processing if you want to, but I like PixInsight for processing so not a feature I need.

A link to the website if anyone is interested in having a look. https://www.hyperion-astronomy.com/

Depending on which version price is a bit steep but I think worth it, so far for my personal needs the Pro version is the one for me.

Shane

• Thanks 1

Thanks mate, I'll check it out. It is a planetarium program I take it? I'm still not entirely convinced with TheSkyX Pro. Some of the features feel like they should be one click options, but you have to go into menu's, create paths or objects. I've used software where all that fluff was one right click away (other than those few types of minor gripes, TheSkyX is okay). 

Ray

It incorporates a planetarium, as well as a lot of things that skyx and other packages wants to pay extra for, like dome/obs control, camera control, pointing model to name a few. I did have problem with my prostar guidecam but tried my imaging source planetary cam and that works for guiding and is much more sensitive. Not sure if problem was camera or software related, leaning towards camera framerate couldn't go high enough. I am definately going to change to Prism as soon as I can afford the Pro version.

Shane

Interesting mate. I'll definitely download and test.

Ray

Well so far I am so impressed with this software that I bit the bullet and purchased the PRO version. They have a 15% discount until Friday so what the heck. Still a long way to go in learning all its capabilities but I am very impressed.

Shane

Interesting, but the local State Government deleted that interest by sending me a renewal Bill for my car rego of $550 (and that's concession rate) plus Valentina needs a return air fare from RU back to AU in the no so distant future.  So its "Non Spending Mode" for quite some time yet. ! 

Have also had another load of back issues again and limited to my bifocals to observe the Heavens. :)  

Dave

• Sad 1

On 4/21/2018 at 8:29 AM, Radar said:

Thanks mate, I'll check it out. It is a planetarium program I take it? I'm still not entirely convinced with TheSkyX Pro. Some of the features feel like they should be one click options, but you have to go into menu's, create paths or objects. I've used software where all that fluff was one right click away (other than those few types of minor gripes, TheSkyX is okay). 

Ray

I also checked out SkyXPro.  Like other programs of the same ilk, I found that a lot of its features are sold as add-ons etc. so you often end up paying well over $500US.  Some of the software is being priced way beyond the average guy's purse these days.  I have settled down on Stellarium, a quite old but still reliable bit of free software and of course the price is right :) 

Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scorpius said:

I also checked out SkyXPro.  Like other programs of the same ilk, I found that a lot of its features are sold as add-ons etc. so you often end up paying well over $500US.  Some of the software is being priced way beyond the average guy's purse these days.  I have settled down on Stellarium, a quite old but still reliable bit of free software and of course the price is right :) 

Dave

Correct you are Dave, SkyX is one of the ones that want extra $ for add on features, SGP is cheaper but needs other software to do certain things like guiding and platesolving dome control etc, Maxim DL is similar to Prism but has a heftier price tag. The fact that Prism, although not exactly cheap, does everything in one package is what attracted me to it in the first place.

Sad to hear your back is playing up again mate, hope it improves in short order. Although the cost of an air fare isn't cheap, I bet you're looking forward to Valentina returning home.

Shane

Hi Shane:  Got a bit of a shock this morning: Dr told me the latest Scan also showed a "lesion" on my right kidney. So have Injections for spine this Weds and then an Ultrasound on the 17th.  Here's hoping its benign !!  Fingers X'd. 

Yeah single airfare from St P to Perth is $1250AU

Dave

• Sad 1