Just pulled the trigger on stepper motor and controller for my MoonLite focusser, Happy belated birthday to me B). Auto focus here I come woo hoo.

Shane

Awesome mate. Makes a huge difference IMO. I don't have a stepper that can be pulled back to any particular position, it just goes forwards and back via hand controller or computer, but I couldn't do AP without it really. 

Ray

I have been using a dc motor with hand controller since I got the MoonLite but figured it's time to go to the dark side and go full auto focus.;) 

Hand controller is ok but still a bit of guess work involved with accurate focus.

Shane

15 hours ago, poppasmurf said:

Hand controller is ok but still a bit of guess work involved with accurate focus.

Yeah ditto mate. Please give us a review on how it performs. At 4000mm, keeping focus throughout the night is my biggest challenge. 

Ray

• Like 1

Will do mate, just got notice of delivery to USPS not sure how long till it arrives here. If last time, when I ordered the focusser, is any indication then about a week and it should be here. Ron at Moonlite is a great bloke to deal with.

Shane

Typical. Got the focusser stepper motor and controller today and full cloud cover. Installed it and did a function check and all good, now just need clear skies(ha ha what a joke) to set up for auto focus. I intend to try focusmax and Prism software. I will add more when testing and setup are complete.

Shane

Since the cloud seems to be never ending I thought about what to do with the old DC motor. Put it on the guide scope of coarse. Now I'm just waiting on my brother, (REALLY handy having family own an engineering business), to 3D print a bracket to suit the GSO focusser and MoonLite DC motor to attach. 

As soon as I can do some real world testing I'll let you lot know.

Shane

A couple of pics of DC motor bracket for the GSO focusser on the guide scope. Currently doing a reprint after small design adjustment after having too much flex.

As for the new stepper(no pics yet) all is going well with testing. I am also testing new control software and are loving Prism 10 (https://www.hyperion-astronomy.com/store) for control of everything, a real pleasure only dealing with one software package for everything even if it is a bit of a learning curve.

Shane

bracket installed.jpg

bracket1.jpg

bracket2.jpg

bracket3.jpg

Wow mate, 3D printing brackets? How good is this getting. Let us know how it goes.

Ray

• Like 1

On the main topic of this thread the stepper is awesome, being able to repeatedly get good focus instead of manually with my old worn out eyes and a bahtinov mask is a real pleasure.

Bracket for dc motor will be ready this week for trial.

Shane

• Like 1

DC motor Bracket version 2. Not yet installed. Will need to get some longer screws to attach motor to bracket before trial installation.

Shane

dc motor bracket V2.jpg

dc motor bracket V2a.jpg

dc motor bracket V2b.jpg

dc motor bracket V2c.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome mate, I bet you can't wait to use it. 

Ray

• Like 1