Radar

IC2944 Palmers Cosmic Clumps

I've been acquiring data on this object for about a year. Admittedly I throw most of that data away. IC2944 sits near the SCP and with the weather over the last few months (either cloud or poor seeing) I haven't been able to get enough data. I still want to get a few more hours. You are looking at 20x 5 minute subs per channel (Ha, OIII and SII). No luminance yet. It really needs some more data to do it justice. 

Basically the image shows numerous Bok Globules collapsing into EGGs (evaporative gaseous globules) which will form new stars. In fact every star you see in the sky was once a globule like these. Capturing star formation like this is one of my favourite things to shoot. Photos are few and far between these days with the crazy weather. Maybe I should do more solar. 

This is only a low resolution version and hasn't been deconvoluted yet. It needs much more data. The ionized hydrogen in the background though accentuates the globules. 

Capture.JPG

Comments and feedback welcome.

Ray

• Like 2

Totally near the pole Greg and a painful object to shoot. I was determined to get it though. I will still add a few hours data to it. It needs more colour and sharpening. But after such a drought I'm happy to be processing and making pictures again. B)

Ray

• Like 2

As Greg said "Good work near the pole". I can't give any criticism Ray as I don't know much about NB. Still doing WB, maybe one day I'll get onto NB. Having said that it looks good to me mate.

Shane

• Like 1

Had another play tonight. I haven't done processing for a few months so its good to get my feet wet again. I think this needs luminance for sharpening. I still need to bring out the colours more.

Capture.JPG

Regards

Ray

• Like 2

I am doomed never to see such things. Every time I even think about setting up the scope, leaden clouds roll in and obliterate the heavens ! :(  But yeah, great shot :) 

• Haha 1

Thanks Tony, I need some luminance for it. I'll grab it over the next new moon.  

Ray