scorpius

FTDI and USB/Ser port issues.

Just noticed that I cannot directly insert an image into PMs without previously uploading it or creating an URL to it.  Hmmmm?

anyway here is the image I want to sent which shows that the drivers are in and allegedly working etc.  But EQ mod comes up with "Invalid parameter" and then totally locks up the desktop on "ALL" devices a after setting up parameters and COM Port to 3. where W10 has found them. Only way out is "A C D" command and even that takes a while to unlock everything. 

I have even tried using the CMD "Shift - Restart" from Windows and gone into the boot commands and disable "Signing of drivers etc"  Plus using  FixDCOM and using DCOMCNFG to change settings of Ascom as per FixDCOM instructions I have.  http://forums.dc3.com/showthread.php?11182-ALERT-Windows-8-1-and-10-Updates-KB4056898-and-KB4056892-Reported-Problems&p=67840#post67840

From what I can see it appears to be an EQMOD issue, and cannot interface the drivers. 

Maybe this info may be of help. 

You will also note I also have an Arduino converter under Silicon Labs CP2101 bridge.  I cannot find that either. I have the drivers, but rolled back on this Dell 780 ATM 

The mind boggleth beyond belief :(

Device manager has located them in both "Ports" and  USB controllers (USB serial converter)

Dave

5a6d926ba39a3_FTDIDrivers.jpg.4740649de86e5c92c651c92056677576.jpg

There are lots of reports of WIN 10 not playing nice with drivers Dave. At this point the only solution I have read is to roll back the drivers to one that worked and turn off updates for as long as windows permits.

Having said that I have had no problems with WIN 10 and drivers as yet. All ascom drivers are fine on my system and I regularly update windows etc.

Sorry I can't be more help mate.

Shane 

I have reached what pilots call QNR (I have reached the point of no return)  This is absolutely crazy.  I my old FTDI USB/Ser adapter plus 2 new ones. and none of them will work.  The whole system locks up with runtime errors and exception errors.  Cannot find device driver etc...  I am going to give away any further attempts to try and interface.  Yeah I have been reading so much stuff about people having issues with Ascom etc since Win 10 came out.  When I removed the adapter from the computer all the "locked up screens vanish" ! Maybe an error in the EQ6 remote control section? I just do not know.  Other than it used to work great in Win7.  same adapter same interface cables, plus a couple of new ones I made up. 

I think I will sell off my big scopes and just play with the Skywatcher MAK90.  :)

Dave

(Exits left and takes up gardening)

Just confirming your laptop is a 32 bit and not 64 bit?

Ray

They are all 64 Bit.  Mebe this is the problem and the fact we are now in 2018 not 1998 !  See my PM also :)

Dave

The latest cable I got came from here https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/253250713286 I have written to them to confirm the drivers as the "Links" on their webpage are not links !!  I looks like they know what they are doing as they can make up individual cables to suit needs etc.

Regarding the image of drivers. they also include 64bit driver if you look closer.  They are dual 32/64 bit drivers, which is now standard with FTDI. However W10 rejects the 64 bit driver saying the best drivers are installed.   Incidently cannot get these cables to work in Stellarium either.  As I said, I am just about ready to give the whole idea away , my health is more important than a  3x2 twisted pair cable  ............! 

Dave.

• Like 1

I visited the Sky Watcher Web Page and downloaded their software and firmware for the SynScan V3.* controller I have.

http://skywatcher.com/download/software/

To cut a long story short.  All three of the FTDI cables I have and the interfacing adapter cables check out 100%  This was done by running the SW app to update the firmware.  You need to install the cable, check the device manager and see that it has allocated a COM port.  Using the Install app  and following the instructions in the PDF, it should auto find the COM port and then locating the firmware file in a directory you made called Synscan, hitting UPGRADE will connect to the handpiece, via the RJ11 (centre socket) and being powered by a 12v wall wart.  It will then show it is deleting the Flash Drive, followed by the new Firmware installation.

I did this 3 times with all the cables I have/and adapter link cables  - Everything worked seemlessly.

The New 3.* firmware is considerably more involved and includes a new preconfigured Sun observation feature.  One needs to escape from that to "Setup" the parameters for general viewing of the various features of which there are many, including a new feature of "Factory Reset"

This leaves me with the conclusion that the issue I am having is not the cables, nor the drivers - It is the 3rd party softwware or the quirky features of W10 as it fails to connect on all computers/laptops I have tried.

I have a P4 MB and enough bits to knock up a breadboard assembly and will install WIN 7 on it and will go back in time and see if I can recreate my original setup.  

But one thing to come out of this that little App from SW is excellent for testing USB/Ser cables :)

• Like 1

The Au Federal Govt also uses Win 7 on most of their computers also.  I was one of the best Win OS.   BTW... I have got the scope connected to the new Dell laptop and its working in Stellarium, which apparently also uses the Ascom drivers.  This morning I did cruise around the Northern skies Jupiter Vega Arcturus etc and worked seemlessly as originally did.  I also physically went through all the connectors and sprayed them with contact cleaner, I have used this for many years on noisy vol pots in audio systems.  This was using the latest cable I got 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5m-USB-remote-control-PC-cable-for-Sky-Watcher-SynScan-telescopes-FTDI-chip-/192421520465?

They are extremely helpful the Vendor is Ian and also a ham Radio operator and Astronomy enthusiast.  Very keen to offer assistance and most of all his cables are a fraction of the cost of FTDI cables which are made in China.  he just uses the FTDI module in a completely sealed 5M cable. 

I now need to calibrate my back yard and mark the patio where the legs must be.  I got it pretty close with some minor adjustments electronically to hold the moon in the eyepiece for 2.5 hours during the eclipse. So I am pretty close, returning to PARK the tripod appears to be about 5 degrees out of plumb on true North. 

Why this system is not working in the CDC/Ascom setup is beyond me.  Its a driver issue as error comes up "No drivers Found".  As previosuly said "back to Win7" :)

I am also running this cable through a 3 metre amplified USB extension cable. (From the kitchen)  I have used these before from the house out to the scope in the garden, up to 3 cables.  I will try CDC/Ascom again without the extension  cable and a short interface.  But I do not think this is an issue. 

As I have previously posted all the cables I have are good as they interfaced the Skywatcher Firmware update App 100%  Only one Ser to RJ11 link cable failed.  I will redo that.

The scope has been out of use for quite some time and there could have been a connector issue which got cured by the cleaning solvent. But one has to look at all parameters..

But really good to see the old beast searching the skies again.  I do not particularly like Stellarium, but beggars can't be choosers :) 

Dave

• Like 1

That's awesome Dave. It's a good feeling slewing around under the stars again. 

Ray

Yeah feeling quite chuffed. :)  I have also checked out all three cables and extensions I have and all are working in Stellarium.  Still no joy with CDC/Ascom.  

When this cloud disperses from that Tropical Low,  I will setup and try to capture the Waning moon over the next few days.

I have an older version of Starry Night on CD, will try that out, but may be too old, many of those old programs wanted Quicktime 3.0  and the lastest Win10/64bit setups will not accept antique 16 bit garbage :) 

Dave

On 02/02/2018 at 11:46 AM, scorpius said:

hen this cloud disperses from that Tropical Low,  I will setup and try to capture the Waning moon over the next few days.

Can you believe this weather for Perth?

And maybe try this program, its free -

https://www.ap-i.net/skychart/en/start

Ray

I have been using that program for years Cartes du Ciel, even exchanged some views with Peter in France, the creator.  I have V 2.76 3.0 and the latest 4.0 and of course you need Ascom. 6.3

but it is strange that Stellarium is working great with Ascom but still cannot gt CDC to work.  (driver error - cannot find) 

Comments here are interesting.

https://ascom-standards.org/index.htm

Dave