Radar

The Seeing and Meade FR on Celestron C14

I am a long focal length addict. Shooting deep space at 4000mm comes with major hurdles. Even the steel pier contracting a few microns during the night time temperature drop throws out my polar alignment. Long focal length AP introduces many different issues that normal AP doesn't. However usually during the summer I enjoy warm nights and a lot of telescope time, but this summer, there is an exceptional amount of turbulence in the atmosphere here in Western Australia. 

It is the wettest January on record for a very long time, and the scintillation is incredibly powerful. So much so that I can't get sharp focus, or if I do get sharp focus, the 5 minute subs still come out hazy as the stars move significantly in and out of focus. At first I thought I was going crazy, dew on the corrector plate, or simply focused with the wrong filter, but after checking and rechecking it is definitely the seeing. 

So my options are drop the FR back to something like 3.3 or 6.3 or wait to finish two awesome shots at F11.

I have two Meade focal reducers, 3.3 and 6.3. I know the threads fit my C14, but does anyone know if the optical arrangement is suited to Celestron telescopes (before I start pulling everything apart)?

Regards

Ray

Holy Cow! I am actually getting incredible seeing and data. Subs are cruising in. Back in business baby!

Ray

On 1/26/2018 at 2:00 AM, Radar said:

Holy Cow! I am actually getting incredible seeing and data. Subs are cruising in. Back in business baby!

Ray

Lucky bugger. Hope it lasts for you mate.

Shane

On 28/01/2018 at 9:41 AM, poppasmurf said:

Hope it lasts for you mate.

I got one good night three nights ago. The night of 26th of Jan was cloudy, and last night became gusty. Annoying weather. Clear days, horrible nights. 

Ray

Yep weird crappy weather here as well. Seems clear nights here are bloody windy or moonlit.

Shane