Father Christmas is delivering a new Laptop.  Hopefully it will accept the Ascom/CDC4 software and drive my SW10/EQ6pro around the heavens.

Was chasing some Dell re-furbs.  Then today spotted Dell having a Boxing Day sale 40% off selected new gear.  Now I love discounts like that and merrily parted with the faloose.

http://www.dell.com/au/p/inspiron-13-5378-2-in-1-laptop/pd?oc=a510850au&model_id=inspiron-13-5378-2-in-1-laptop

Originally priced at $999.00 $749.00 slotted nicely into my budget.  

All I need now is a forklift to put the 10" onto the EQ6pro :) 

Dave

Nice Dave. Have you thought about getting a scope trolley?

Ray

Gee, I sometimes wonder why I have so many issues with some purchases etc.  It seems the order I placed with Dell Australia and the hard earned money I sent was not recorded and passed on to the Sales Department by Dell Finance Dept.  Despite repeat re-sends I still had no response from any department, so I lodged a complaint with Dept of Consumer Affairs WA.

Yesterday I actually managed to contact  a  "live" person and expressed my disgust and dismay and advised them of my complaint lodgement. 

He agreed that it was not a good situation and would put it on an immediate search.  To cut a long story short, it was as I said a lack of forwarding from one department to another. I re-sent all the info and documentation, quote etc, payment etc to him over the chat app. He accepted that something was seriously wrong and would fast track things.  I even got a phone call from him later saying everything has been located and they would ship ASAP and email information.  He accepted the documentation and payment had been received and had been sent to the right address. 

Why would this happen? because international companies like Dell only have a skeleton staff in AU and why everyone you speak to has an Indian dialect. ---- Because, the entire operation is run from a "Call Centre" in Mumbai in India.  The mind boggleth :( Meanwhile I am not cancelling the complaint to CAWA until I actually get confirmation of shipment.  

Re: Trolley:   My back yard is very small and there is a raised patio, which would render it hard to use.  I think an over head gantry and hoist would be a better idea Ray.  I will see if I can take some pictures of what I mean.  :) 

Dave

On 07/01/2018 at 6:31 AM, scorpius said:

I think an over head gantry and hoist would be a better idea Ray

lol, fair enough mate.

Can't believe how shabby dell was with your money. Its disgusting treatment by them. And I agree, keep the compliant live until you receive the unit

Ray

13 hours ago, Radar said:

Its disgusting treatment by them. And I agree, keep the compliant live until you receive the unit

Ray

Consumer Affairs WA have advised me of  a bit of a delay due to overload of cases. But yeah, good job I have kept the complaint open because Dell have failed in their promise to immediatley e-mail confirmation of purchase last Friday morning,  has not materialised. :(:( 

Best of luck with the new laptop Dave , hope it works out ok. Shame you cant utilise a scope trolly for your backyard, I have a JMI one that I use to roll out my setup from the backyard shed onto a concrete pad.

Thanks for comment.  Dell have produced some great equipment in the past. In fact both My wife Val and I both use refurbished Dell SFF  780 units. Great for general use and extremely reliable, whilst not fast for gaming, that is not an issue because we do no more than the occasional game of solitaire. :)   Yep this laptop is a leap into the latest devices, and bought mainly to use with Astro apps and interfaces.   Personally I just cannot believe what is happening.  But that's what happens when companies run their businesses from India call centers in Mumbai. 

Regarding the trolley, yes that would be ideal. but I will be posting a photo of the situation and there is step down of about 8 inches.  I guess I could probably put a ramp there, but its a very small area.  We live in a Strata Title Home Unit on what could be described as a handerchief block! Back in the 70's I bought this place because of spiraling house prices.  It met my needs then, but to upgrade would be a waste of money and a very expensive operation to get a bigger block.  At 83, unfortunately my time is running out.  My mind thinks 25, but the body says otherwise :)  !!

Dave

2 hours ago, scorpius said:

My mind thinks 25, but the body says otherwise :)  !!

lol, I'm not 83, but I think I'm starting to understand the feeling. 

Ray

• Like 1

Over the past two days had a couple of calls from Consumer Affairs WA.  Very charming lady. who said she would take up the action straight away.  The second call said she also had difficulty "getting in touch" with Dell. And yes Like a lot of AU companies they are operating their setup offshore via Mumbai in India.  She said she had given them until Wednesday next to respond.

Later in the day I received an email from the person in Mumbai who gave me the original quote.  It was a nice email, acknowledging payment etc and advising me that the goods ordered will be delivered on January 19th !!!.  At last !! a communication.  I had also written to that person explaining my dilemma and if she could look into it for me.  So whether this was an independent reply or the result of Consumer Affairs, I guess I will never know. But the result was good.

That is one big load off my mind and reminder never to buy or even try to buy a Dell computer direct from Dell but through a local re-seller !!

I have suggested that the case remain open until I can confirm actual delivery of the Laptop. 

Dave

• Like 1

It blows me away that companies like Dell think they can push off their support networks to Mumbai and think that this isn't going to affect their sales or credibility. I would be very skeptical about buying anything from them now. I'd rather pay more and have a local in my own country off me support. 

Ray

Sign of the times Ray, for legal reasons I will not elaborate any further, but for a while it really had me worried, as the cost of the unit was stretching the limits of my affordability.  Mark agreed with me the features were outstanding and he also recommended it as something that should more than meet my needs.

On the quirky side of things. That USB/Serial port cable I got which never worked and sent back.  Only to have a non delivery because the vendor had given a false return address. (An unattended  lockup storage facility in the South of UK)   Anyway I received a full refund from the Agency I purchased it through, and now have just received advice from Austpost  that a "return of goods" has been made and will be delivered to me next week. 

Ah well poo happens at times and then again ......  (no comment:)

Dave

On 13/01/2018 at 3:29 PM, scorpius said:

Only to have a non delivery because the vendor had given a false return address.

What a tool. Hope you left bad feedback mate. 

Ray

Certainly did, absolutely one of the worst vendors I have come across in many years on the site. But yeah,at least I got my money back and postage. 

Seems I am not the only person to have problems with those FTDI cables in Win 10. Seems to be a driver issue.  I found my original cable which worked great in Win7/8 but cannot get it to work in WIN 10 either so has to be a driver/WIN10 conflict I think. 

But the guy was abusive right from the start, then clammed up and refused to reply to any further communication.  One of his comments was "We are only a warehouse - We do not offer any support nor information"  Duh ! Even the Chinese manufacture in Hong Kong (Yes FTDI is Chinese!) ignored my mail.

Dave