Latest 3D printed creation.  20 4th order Menger Sponges were stuck together to create this monster 5th order Menger Sponge 180mm on a side.  346 hours of printing and 1.25kg of filament went into this one.  And no I am not going to print out another 19 of these to make a 6th order Menger Sponge 540mm on an edge :)

Greg

5th order.jpg

• Like 1

Geezuz Prof! How many right angles are in that? Great little project / ornament (especially for torturing people with poor spatial and geometric skills). How long that take you?

Ray

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Radar said:

Geezuz Prof! How many right angles are in that? Great little project / ornament (especially for torturing people with poor spatial and geometric skills). How long that take you?

Ray

Only 346 hours Ray :)

Greg

• Like 1

Certainly quite a project !! I looked up Menger Sponge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menger_sponge and appears to be similar to the theory of the ever decreasing circle.  Not sure what you could use it for though. Then again I had issues with my 1X table as kid.  Mathmatically I am brain dead :) 

Notice that these 3D machines are beginning to drop in price  - But don't think I have a use for one myself. 

Well done anyway :)

Dave

• Like 1

On 11/26/2017 at 10:23 PM, scorpius said:

Certainly quite a project !! I looked up Menger Sponge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menger_sponge and appears to be similar to the theory of the ever decreasing circle.  Not sure what you could use it for though. Then again I had issues with my 1X table as kid.  Mathmatically I am brain dead :) 

Notice that these 3D machines are beginning to drop in price  - But don't think I have a use for one myself. 

Well done anyway :)

Dave

Well as the Menger sponge has an infinite surface area - the big party trick you can play with this is to put it into a bucket of water and watch how it empties the bucket!!

Greg

• Like 1