Kokatha man

Some planetary images over the last couple of years...

Well, this is kinda hard 'cos even though this year has presented poor seeing for a lot of the time we still have oodles of images since I last posted something here...which were 2015 images.

Neptune & Uranus were the subjects I posted images of on MAS back then & we had only just commenced imaging Neptune...since then we have been in a couple of pro-am collaborations for Neptune & our (Pat & my) work was presented at the international Planetary Scientists conventions as part of this, one Neptune night's work capturing several storm spots including one that only the Hubble had imaged & which our image accorded with "point by point except for one small artefact" as Prof. Ricardo noted at the time.

This year the Keck only recently made a fanfare news release about a very large storm on Neptune's EQ where the winds rage at around 1000km/hr making the storm that was imaged there very unusual: in actual fact Pat & I had discovered this storm first quite a while earlier & our images on June 10th & July 14th were the first & last time it was imaged...this period being quite amazing for such a large storm to stay together in those conditions where they are "normally" never found.

Here's the BAA link to our feat as well as the link there to the Keck release: https://britastro.org/node/10860

But I'll kick off with a few Jovian images from 2016/7 then some Saturns of the same vintage & Mars from last year also if I can fit them...apologies for the haphazard array but I have drives coming out of my ears half the time..! :lol: 

j2016-04-21_12-29_rgb_dpmNupFINat85pc.png

j2017-03-04_17-58_rgb_dpm.png

j2017-03-14_17-00-&-17-06_rgb_dpm.png

j2017-05-02_13-59_rgb_dpm.png

j2017-05-02_14-00_g_dpm.png

j2017-05-06_13-39_rgb_dpmTILT.png

j2017-05-24-11_58_rgb_dpm.png

j2017-06-02_12-10&12-14sideByside_rgb_dpm.png

• Like 1

Thought I'd post the Joves first to see if everything was working... ;)

The ring tilt series is included along with a few Saturns over the last couple of years...just a few of them out of many tbh. ;)

Sat_RGB_2011&12&13&14&15&16&17RingTiltsFIN-EarthComp.png

s2016-06-02_15-07_rgb_dpm-NupTILT.png

ASI174&224&290Saturns.png

Mars is coming up again later next year but  I haven't posted any from the 2016 apparition here on MAS afaik...next year Mars will be a whopping 24 arcses as opposed to the 18 arcsecs this year...really hoping I can image then..!!! :)

Ok - apologies for doing this, especially like this: I must remember to log in a bit more often in the future 'cos I still think fondly of folks here. My only real excuse is abject laziness but I did have some trouble at one stage trying to post images here & getting nowhere even though Ray & Tim tried their best to assist with whatever the problem was...but no sucj bad luck this time whatsoever..! :)

Stk9354Nm65%_Mars_164343_RGB_040516_FIN@200%#3.png

Stk9354Nm65%_Mars_164343_RGB_040516_SingleChannels-FIN@100%#3.png

m2016-06-02_15-22_rgb_dpm.png

m2016-05-31_15-50_rgb_dpm.png

m2016-06-02_13-29_rgb_dpm-AllChannels@150%-Sup.png

m2016-05-17&18_5imagesSouthUp_FIN.png

AllSingleChannelsBothNights@150%.png

Stk1095Nm65%_Mars_163142_RGB_040516_Driz3_Aligned@200%ANIME-Better.gif

• Like 1

Ooops - maybe this is worthwhile if it fits/works...I haven't loaded the 2017 image yet but it gives another spin to the ring tilt as opposed to the set of still images above. (which do include 2017!)

RingTilt-X6_RGB_0.5secs.gif

• Like 1

:blink:WOW, absolutely gob smacking images. There are not enough superlatives to give a true representation of what I think of all of those shots. Please keep em coming Daz. Congrats on the Neptune storm as well.

Shane

Yeah they 'were' amazing Darryl, until GoDaddy moved my database and lost them. What scope are you using for those? And you would have to have some incredibly stable skies, so I take it you travelled for these?

On 20/09/2017 at 4:59 PM, Kokatha man said:

Pat & my) work was presented at the international Planetary Scientists conventions as part of this, one Neptune night's work capturing several storm spots including one that only the Hubble had imaged & which our image accorded with "point by point except for one small artefact" as Prof. Ricardo noted at the time.

This year the Keck only recently made a fanfare news release about a very large storm on Neptune's EQ where the winds rage at around 1000km/hr making the storm that was imaged there very unusual: in actual fact Pat & I had discovered this storm first quite a while earlier & our images on June 10th & July 14th were the first & last time it was imaged...this period being quite amazing for such a large storm to stay together in those conditions where they are "normally" never found.

That's amazing buddy. 

Ray

3 hours ago, Radar said:

Yeah they 'were' amazing Darryl, until GoDaddy moved my database and lost them. What scope are you using for those? And you would have to have some incredibly stable skies, so I take it you travelled for these?

That's amazing buddy. 

Ray

Thanks Shane & Ray..."were..!" :rofl:

The filenames are still here so I'll hunt around to put them back in again tomorrow - I have just about every port on the home pc plugged with 2 to 5Tb external drives atm...a veritable bloody crow's nest!

Time for some file compressing! ;)

Still with the ol' C14...& just our usual 2 main haunts of Sedan in the Murray Mallee about 180kms from home & Carrieton about 400kms away...but for the 2nd half of this year it has been either clouds, jet-streams or both!

On 24/09/2017 at 4:58 PM, Kokatha man said:

but for the 2nd half of this year it has been either clouds, jet-streams or both!

Welcome to my world. Last two years Perth has seen so much cloud over winter, its like three or four months of being clouded out. I think I've managed one night of clear skies in three months. I don't remember it being like this. 

Ray

2 hours ago, poppasmurf said:

Glad I got to see them before they disappeared.

lol, I've jinxed Darryl. Everytime he comes here I've been doing something to the site and he ends up the cyber victim of what ever software upgrade is being done. Sorry Darryl, not intentional my friend. :blink:

Ray

• Like 1

...funny you should mention that Ray - it is actually "half-correct!" :lol:

In fact, every time I drag my sorry arse here it seems to play up...most likely my end! (to extend the pun!)

Sometimes I've got to re-enter my password for some reason or another (usually when I can't remember/find it of course) & I remember several times last year where no matter what I tried I couldn't get any images to load...

Me & Murphy most likely... :(

Anyway, I'll stay on until I get those images loaded today...I'll use the filenames to pull them into a temporary folder & repost the images in a "reload" thread: we'll see how it goes, fingers crossed. ;)