Some of you will know I recently bought an Anet A6 3D printer kit.  Sole purpose of the kit is to print out 3D mathematical objects (I cannot think of any other useful thing to do with a 3D printer to be  honest).

Anyway - with just my second "proper" print - I printed out this little beauty.  A Klein Bottle, 8" high and 4" across the base.  Something like 18 hours printing time at 0.2mm resolution.  Will do the same thing again with semi-transparent filament next time.

Greg

IMG_2411_Forums.jpg

Wow that is awesome. I really want to get a 3D printer sometime. I think they could print a ton of handy gizmos. 

Ray

• Like 1

Very interesting. You made me look this up. I found it very intersting also the Mobius strip. This fact had me :" If an ant were to crawl along the length of this strip, it would return to its starting point having traversed the entire length of the strip (on both sides of the original paper) without ever crossing an edge". Basic but amazing.

Dan.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chunk said:

Very interesting. You made me look this up. I found it very intersting also the Mobius strip. This fact had me :" If an ant were to crawl along the length of this strip, it would return to its starting point having traversed the entire length of the strip (on both sides of the original paper) without ever crossing an edge". Basic but amazing.

Dan.

I have been into Mobius Loops since about 15.  Not only is it single surface but it is also single edge.  Now soap films have an amazing property.  Dip a 3D structure (wire mesh type) into a soap bubble solution and the soap film covers the MINIMAL SURFACE AREA of the object!!!  This is amazing.  And it got a 15 year old to thinking - what happens if I dip a Mobius Loop into soap film??  As it only has one edge and one surface the soap film is going to run into trouble.  Do I generate a time-warp?  Do I break through into another dimension??  These were the thoughts going through a 15 year old's mind.  So I did the experiment.  No time warps - but a result I really wasn't expecting at all.  And yes it does form a soap film over the Mobius Loop - but how is that possible with only a single edge?  I won't actually be giving away the answer.  If you want to know the answer - do the experiment for yourself :)

Greg

8 hours ago, Radar said:

Can you print one?

Ray

What - a Mobius Loop?  Yes of course.  A Klein Bottle is two Mobius Loops stitched together :)

Greg

I didn't realise that Prof. What about two interlocking mobuis looks that are not connected. Kind of like two chain links? I can see those 3D printers would be quite addictive for those with a creative IQ. 

Ray

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Radar said:

I didn't realise that Prof. What about two interlocking mobuis looks that are not connected. Kind of like two chain links? I can see those 3D printers would be quite addictive for those with a creative IQ. 

Ray

Yes you can do that too - they are amazing for creating objects that you cannot build by normal means.  For example you can print out nested dodecahedrons - one wireframe dodecahedron inside another, about 5 of them in total.  Truly amazing piece of kit to experiment with :)

Greg

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:40 PM, wingeing Pom said:

I have been into Mobius Loops since about 15.  Not only is it single surface but it is also single edge.  Now soap films have an amazing property.  Dip a 3D structure (wire mesh type) into a soap bubble solution and the soap film covers the MINIMAL SURFACE AREA of the object!!!  This is amazing.  And it got a 15 year old to thinking - what happens if I dip a Mobius Loop into soap film??  As it only has one edge and one surface the soap film is going to run into trouble.  Do I generate a time-warp?  Do I break through into another dimension??  These were the thoughts going through a 15 year old's mind.  So I did the experiment.  No time warps - but a result I really wasn't expecting at all.  And yes it does form a soap film over the Mobius Loop - but how is that possible with only a single edge?  I won't actually be giving away the answer.  If you want to know the answer - do the experiment for yourself :)

Greg

I attempted the soap film the other day. Hard to tell in the picture what is happening. The soap film managed to form. Bit like the path of least restistance I suppose. Not sure if this was what you meant so I also Youtubed it. Not much came up though.

Still intersting though.

Dan

Mobius Buuble.jpg

• Like 1

Can't quite see what is going on in the piccie - but yes the film does form - but as it can't form on the edge(s) by the twist, it cheats by actually leaving the edge and going across the width of the loop at the twist.

Greg

How funny, bubbles with a mobius loop. That would confuse the hell outta kids (and some adults, especially my mum B) ). 

Ray

• Like 1

Greg what happens in 3D printing if something interrupts the printing process such as a power cut or a loss of '3D ink'. Does it know where to start off from or is it back to the beginning?

Ray

If you are more capable than me then you can carry on where the print was interrupted.  I would have to start over again.

This is why I run the prints from an SD card that goes into the printer motherboard - and don't run the printer from a computer.

I might get a UPS if I ever lose a long print to a power cut, until then I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Greg