Welcome to My Astro Space Astronomy - MASA

Use the Facebook button to login with your Facebook cookie, how easy is that? Or register a standard account. 

Note you can hotlink any thread you make here direct to your Facebook timeline by hitting the Facebook button under your post (you can also hotlink direct to Twitter, Google, etc as well). So if you are an avid Facebook poster, there is no need to post content twice if you are posting it here first.  

Promote Yourself From Lurker to a Member Today And Join MASA :P 

This message will self destruct once you have signed in.

wingeing Pom

SAO 77516

14 posts in this topic

Carbon star in Taurus.  5 hours of 10-minute subs with the Sky 90 array.

Greg

Definitive_SAO77516_30subs_10mins_Forums.jpg

3 people like this

Lovely starfield Greg, I'm a little surprised you haven't done the star spikes on it though.

Shane

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, poppasmurf said:

Lovely starfield Greg, I'm a little surprised you haven't done the star spikes on it though.

Shane

Sometimes spikes add to an image - especially in the big bright single star images (like Arcturus) - sometimes they don't add much.  I didn't feel that spikes improved this one so left them out.

Greg

2 people like this

Wonderful star colors. On my monitor I notice a bit of a magenta background. Maybe a bit of light pollution at that exposure time?

Eric

2 minutes ago, Eric Mjolnir said:

Wonderful star colors. On my monitor I notice a bit of a magenta background. Maybe a bit of light pollution at that exposure time?

Eric

No sign on mine Eric.  Anyone else see magenta?  I need to know guys :)

Greg

Nope, my laptop screen shows no sign of any background gradients at all.

Shane

I can't see any on my screen either.

Ray

Thank you Shane & Ray.  It can happen (my screens are old and can lose calibration) but this image I also checked on newer screens and it looked ok :)

Greg

1 person likes this

I intend to get a data spyder monitor calibrator or the obs monitor which is where I do all my processing.

Shane

2 hours ago, poppasmurf said:

I intend to get a data spyder monitor calibrator or the obs monitor which is where I do all my processing.

Shane

Well worth doing.

Greg

1 person likes this

I re-checked your image today and it looks fine! Don't know what I was seeing then. Could be that the day I looked at it I had been doing some welding on a trailer at work...bit of eye strain maybe. I never got flashed that day though, so shield must be letting some UV through.

Time to re-calibrate eye balls!

Eric

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, Eric Mjolnir said:

I re-checked your image today and it looks fine! Don't know what I was seeing then. Could be that the day I looked at it I had been doing some welding on a trailer at work...bit of eye strain maybe. I never got flashed that day though, so shield must be letting some UV through.

Time to re-calibrate eye balls!

Eric

It can happen. I'm dying from hayfever right now, and when I looked at this image last night it didn't look right (colour-wise).  This morning - it looks fine again.  Weird.

Greg

How funny is it though that when you are processing an image and starring at it for so long you can lose a proper grasp of what it is supposed to look like. I process, leave things for an hour and come back. Really gives me a fresh insight when I do this. 

Ray

6 minutes ago, Radar said:

How funny is it though that when you are processing an image and starring at it for so long you can lose a proper grasp of what it is supposed to look like. I process, leave things for an hour and come back. Really gives me a fresh insight when I do this. 

Ray

They can be left a day or a week for an even better perspective.

Far too many times have I put stuff up just as I've done it - to then change the damn thing about half a dozen times afterwards.

Greg