Welcome to My Astro Space Astronomy - MASA

Use the Facebook button to login with your Facebook cookie, how easy is that? Or register a standard account. 

Note you can hotlink any thread you make here direct to your Facebook timeline by hitting the Facebook button under your post (you can also hotlink direct to Twitter, Google, etc as well). So if you are an avid Facebook poster, there is no need to post content twice if you are posting it here first.  

Promote Yourself From Lurker to a Member Today And Join MASA :P 

This message will self destruct once you have signed in.

Radar

Inside the Lagoon

10 posts in this topic

Here is an NB image with no luminance added yet. About 3 hours per channel. Took a while to accumulate all the data and I throw away quite a bit that doesn't cut the mustard. I use CCD Inspector on every sub frame that comes in and I make live focus adjustments throughout the imaging run to ensure focus stays tack sharp. I do PA, collimation before every imaging run these days. My pier will suffer from PA drift as well due to temperature changes at the FL of 4 metres, but I'm overcoming all these challenges and loving it. Admittedly once the observatory is open, I do most of my AP from the couch with Teamviewer on my iPhone. 

There are some beautiful foreground dark nebulae (top centre, left and right sides and lower left) that come out well because of the bright background. I've done this object before in RGB but never in NB and never up this close, but I'm impressed with how active and dynamic the object is. 

Lower-Res-Full-Frame.jpg

I could still probably tighten up those stars and reduce the red halos but I'm happy with the result. C&C's welcome as always. 

Ray

4 people like this

That is quite exceptional Ray. you have come a long way imaging at that focal length mate.

Shane

1 person likes this

That is mega Ray - well done.  Now the only thing you need to sort out is the colour.  Green is a big no no.  You don't need to follow Hubble palette (most people don't) but there are slight variations that give a great contrasty result - with no green :)

Greg

1 person likes this

Cheers guys. I agree with the green Greg, I am steering away from it much more these days. I'll run one of Noel's actions on the stars shortly. Overall very happy with the cosmic feel the photo delivers. 

Ray

Wonderful close up. It's kinda cheating though, with that focal length telescope you're half way to the nebula already! :o

Eric

2 people like this

Dude!!!  Ok, that's all I can say for now.

Tim.

1 person likes this

Ray I had to run some more processing on your wonderful image.

Original image:

Lower-Res.jpg

I just felt there was some more detail and contrast that could be squeezed out.  This first one was just doing some unsharp masking and local contrast enhancement with a bit of color noise reduction.

Lower-Res1.jpg

This next one I applied Hasta La Vista Green. to the processed image.

Lower-Res2.jpg

Eric

1 person likes this

Very nice touch ups Eric. Definately improved on Rays effort in my opinion. Just goes to show what another pair of eyes and perhaps different approach can do.

Shane

Interesting. I won't be able to view this properly because I am on an iPhone down the beach at the moment but will check when I get back. 

Ray

Very interesting Eric. Certainly more detail. I haven't added lum to it yet which I'm hoping will also bring out the detail but when I do I'll run these two processes as well and see where it takes us. Thanks for the feedback. 

Ray