I've got heaps of reptiles where I live. Mostly good ones. But every winter I have to save many of these marbled geckos in my firewood. My little daughter and I gathered quite a few on this occasion and relocated them to another old tree stump with lots of hides and moisture.  They are slow and sleepy this time of year. They are so cute. But have to be careful as they drop their tail in defence. I was told their tail is the source that gets them through winter without the need to eat. 

Summer is a completely different story. So many jacky dragons, lace monitors, brown and black snakes and even turtles, yet, hardly see these geckos. 

20170604_134744.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:35 PM, Astro_Pool said:

Are you in a dry area? They are good at keeping the insects down.

Dave

In summer, yes. Hot and very dry.

On average for the whole year approx 6 days/month with rain >1mm (71.8 days for whole year producing 634mm). 3.6 days/month for summer & 8.6 days/month for winter.

Annoying as it is, I rely on the rain this time of year to fill the dam and tanks up to get through the drier times ahead.

The amount of insects during summer would keep these little creatures busy. That's probably why I don't see them around during summer. Plus I'm too focused on looking out for the nasty snakes instead.

23 hours ago, Chunk said:

On average for the whole year approx 6 days/month with rain >1mm (71.8 days for whole year producing 634mm). 3.6 days/month for summer & 8.6 days/month for winter.

That's not too shabby mate. I would love to live rurally and get some serious dark skies happening. What's your LP like?

Ray

Not too bad. No street lights. No close neighbors. Wangaratta is about 15-20 km away where I do get a slight glow from in the SE. Must be Shane's neighbor's back light :lol:. I'm lucky because I'm quite elevated which reduces the amount of glow. Yarrawonga is much further away. I'm guessing 40-50 km in the North but I still get a slight glow from there as well.

I do consider myself lucky up here. One very annoying thing is a bloody power line going through the property. This has made me set  up my obs further down in the paddock. Less convenient as would rather have it closer to the house.

Dan

• Like 1

On 13/08/2017 at 5:29 PM, Chunk said:

Must be Shane's neighbor's back light

Totally. With the way Shane is, if he was my neighbour, I'd have all my outside lights on at night time as well. :P B) :blink:

Getting skyglow from something 20km's away would be a luxury for me. I live on a main road and my scope shakes when trucks, Harley's or loud cars drive by. The LP is quite terrible. However I've got something happening with my local government. If it is successful, I'm going to share it with the astro community. Fingers crossed. 

Ray

• Like 1