timthelder

A couple of Jupes from the 25th

Just a couple of quick images.  The first using the Celestron Skyris, the second with a ZWO ASI120MM.  I cant seem to get the frame rate up on the ASI.  With the Skyris, I could get about 3500-4000 frames in 40sec (640x480.)  With the ASI, only about 1500-2000 frames (480x320.)  Still searching as to why?  Anyhoo...

Cheers, Tim.

Jupiter_05-25-2017-Skyris2.jpg

Jup_220400_RGB.jpg

• Like 2

Wow mate, the skyris is better. When did you get this camera? I'm glad you have done a comparison. I'm in the market for one of these. 

Ray

I believe Imaging Source and Celestron teamed up Ray, they use the same chips as the IS cameras but are made by Celestron. Correct me if I am mistaken Tim.

Shane

Very interesting mate. I was eyeballing the ZWO cameras, but I'm intrigued with these Skyris now. I'll have to do some digging. 

Ray

You are correct Shane.  The DMK21AU618 (which I had before) has the same chip as the Skyris.  The AU618 will only capture at a 60fps frame rate (640x480) whereas the Skyris has no problem at 120fps (640x480.)

The ASI120MM is a neat little cam.  You can 'crop' the sensor imaging area, which is supposed to allow for much higher frame rates.  Sensor at full res is 1280x960.  But for Jupe I use 480x320.

ASIlink

Tim

• Like 1