Welcome to My Astro Space Astronomy - MASA

Use the Facebook button to login with your Facebook cookie, how easy is that? Or register a standard account. 

Note you can hotlink any thread you make here direct to your Facebook timeline by hitting the Facebook button under your post (you can also hotlink direct to Twitter, Google, etc as well). So if you are an avid Facebook poster, there is no need to post content twice if you are posting it here first.  

Promote Yourself From Lurker to a Member Today And Join MASA :P 

This message will self destruct once you have signed in.

scorpius

Iridium Flare 97

7 posts in this topic

As you are aware I sold my Canon EOS 350D to a friend at ASWA and she has been very busy chasing Iridium flares.  I actually spotted one when I looked up the data, but the eyes are not particularly brilliant for seeing and tracking them, But Kerryn is a very talented person and is noted for her running of the "Lunatiks" at the local venues in Perth.

This is her latest capture of Iridium 97 using the EOS 350D  I really like her composition, shows a lot of thought and talent. 

Kerryn has given me permission to post this photo on MASA :)

IR97_KM.jpg

Dave 

1 person likes this

Hi Dave,

That's an awesome shot by her. Really well composed.  If you are interested in shooting these you can download apps for your smartphone if you use one, otherwise you can just do a google search for how to track iridium satellites. I show my kids these, they love them. 

Ray

A very nice image she captured.  A shame the whole iridium flare 'thing' will come to an end as they are discontinuing the use of iridium in satellites.  Get'em while one can I suppose.

Tim.

I think it will be a long time before the Iridium "plated" satellites will disappear.  Looking at Stellarium app there appears to be hundreds of them fighting for space up there. With world production of iridium only around 7 tonnes a year, its a much demanded commodity, used to be used for plating fountain pen nib tips, spark plugs etc, but other plating materials are replacing Iridium.

Totally off subject;  the MP3 has died -- long live the mpegH (AAC) The creators of the MP3 have "Officially"  totally closed down all support and continuation of the media.  Now where did I put those 10" floppy disks for My WANG processor. :)

Dave 

Hey Dad, what's a floppy disk?  B4 your time son! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-H_3D_Audio

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, scorpius said:

Now where did I put those 10" floppy disks for My WANG processor. :)

Can you believe they were only 1.5 meg. 

Ray

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Radar said:

Can you believe they were only 1.5 meg. 

Ray

I do not have any 10" FDs now, but a heap of 5" and 3.5". Plus the original placky box for 10 X 10" disks

Dave

1 person likes this

You should show one of those 10" disks to a teenager or someone in their early 20's, they wouldn't have a clue.

Ray