Welcome to My Astro Space Astronomy - MASA

Use the Facebook button to login with your Facebook cookie, how easy is that? Or register a standard account. 

Note you can hotlink any thread you make here direct to your Facebook timeline by hitting the Facebook button under your post (you can also hotlink direct to Twitter, Google, etc as well). So if you are an avid Facebook poster, there is no need to post content twice if you are posting it here first.  

Promote Yourself From Lurker to a Member Today And Join MASA :P 

This message will self destruct once you have signed in.

scorpius

8" Reflector takes a ride on the EQ6Pro

8 posts in this topic

Had a look around for a set of rings for the 8" but as I built that into a length of storm drain tubing I cannot get a reasonable fitting pair of Scope rings.  Those available for a 10" would have set me back $100 delivered ex East.  (By the way Greg at NVT in Melville told me he was running down his stocks of Astronomy equipment due to lack of interest in WA, seems I am the only customer left)  

Any way, I happened to go in the back shed and saw hanging on the wall with lots of dust and spider webs hung the top half of the steel rings I made for the 10 inch.  They were never used because I made the top half using 1/4" thick teflon which I cut into 1" wide straps. 

So, I cut of the hinge end, prepared two straps and borrowed the Dovetail plate off the 10" rings. (Have ordered an extra Dovetail Plate from HK)  Viola! one set of 8" rings from the junk box :)

Below is a pic of the setup.   I need to add additional support and trim the bolts etc and paint the L pieces which lock the rings together one either side with wing nuts.   I may even Piggyback the MAK90 to feed the view onto my 10" remote display.  This scope is excellent for moon shots. 

Dave

IMG_4113.jpg

1 person likes this

You are one resourceful sausage Dave. Nice mod. Be good to see the Mak on it. 

Ray

1 person likes this

Remember that ancient saying? "Necessity is the mother of invention"  My Dad was great inventor, he taught me so many things.  Being a Millwright and Engineer, always said, "Why pay someone else to make it if you can make it yourself"  Val is always complaining about my "Junk Shed", but when I told her I saved myself $100.00, using what she considered rubbish for the bin  --- there was a huge smile on her face. :) 

Dave

1 person likes this

Those junk sheds are gold in times of necessity. I have a shed full of stuff, from electronics to hydraulics. I have friends that are totally helpless with the most basic engineering task. 

Ray

Every bloke should have a junk shed Ray.  There is even a box of complete parts and MDF boards to build a CNC machine ! I am waiting for my son to gain interest and give me a hand in making the beast.

Dave

Received the 210mm Dovetail plates.  I ordered two of them they are always useful.  and mounted the 8" rings.  Works great solid as a rock unless you give it a belt. :)   So the Long Dovetail is now back on the 10" rings.  I will now make an adapter so I can put the 90X1250 Mak on the EQ 6 as well.  Really enjoy using that little scope its size belies its ability.  The EQ1 with the motor is OK but leaves the stability a bit to be desired.  OK for Mooning :) 

I recently picked up a T Bar to which you can add various mounts etc.  For photographic purposes I have set it up on one of my Tripods.

I will make an adaptor with a 3/8" UNC fitting to the spare dovetail I have so I can use it on the EQ6Pro mount.  

Pics below show the individual mounts  The Right one is the Manfrotto 14RC head I picked up for $7 on Ebay and rebuilt. 

Dave

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Camera Canon Powershot 520A

1 person likes this

Clever idea mate. Would be good for eclipses and other fast changing phenomena. 

Ray

The T-Bar and the basic fittings are extremely solid and serviceable.  The central mount (red knobs) is very useful, you can just about fit anything on it and adjust it finely,  again a solid well made QR mount.

Dave

1 person likes this