Welcome to My Astro Space Astronomy - MASA

Use the Facebook button to login with your Facebook cookie, how easy is that? Or register a standard account. 

Note you can hotlink any thread you make here direct to your Facebook timeline by hitting the Facebook button under your post (you can also hotlink direct to Twitter, Google, etc as well). So if you are an avid Facebook poster, there is no need to post content twice if you are posting it here first.  

Promote Yourself From Lurker to a Member Today And Join MASA :P 

This message will self destruct once you have signed in.

beren

Supernova 2017cbv

5 posts in this topic

On March 10 a Type la supernova was discovered in NGC5643 in the constellation Lupus. Back then it was at magnitude 16 but has brightened to around mag 11 now , might be worth a look :].

I was hoping to have a decent crack at imaging the galaxy and supernova on Sunday night but suspect cloud and wind deterred me but managed to use a planetary cam  in Sharpcaps live stack

to check it. The live image was pretty impressive with the SN easily seen, attached a pic although the live view was a lot smoother.NGC-5643-supernova (Copy).jpg

1 person likes this

Wow mate, excellent catch. I haven't used that software. Are you saying that is just a live screen grab? 

Ray

Excellent work beren. Might have to have a crack at this myself.

Shane

Thanks Ray, Shane.........yes Ray you can save the image but I found I had to experiment with stack and exposure length to avoid alignment problems with the saved image. The live stacking seemed to have no worries and looked great. Think the image attached is 15x10 sec frames combined