I wasted the whole day yesterday trying to interface the EQ6Pro to my YEPO notebook running Windows 10  I think its an issue with ASCOM, running Carte du Ciel V3.1 The "hand controller" panel only partially comes up on the screen and then flashes off and on at about 4 to 5 second intervals but only its outline appears then vanishes.  This cycles continuously   I had issues with that before, several moons ago.    I have Ascom 6.3 install, EQMod  Etc. But just will not connect.  I have tried the various options from EQ5/EQ6, Skywatcher Telescope.   I even did complete uninstall and re-installed a fresh download.

I have my FDTI USB/Ser adapter installed and driver loaded and in Device manager it is shown as active and working properly as COM3.  

The YEPO note book is a neat budget priced unit and is running Windows 10 Home. (A recent purchase)

I have activated Remote Desktop Connection and Windows Photo Viewer, which is embedded in Home but not activated.  MS in their wisdom removed certain DLL files. 

ATM I am installing C2A software from   http://www.astrosurf.com/c2a/english/      So far its found the USB/Ser adapter.

Previously I have CDC 2.67 on WIN 7/8 with good results.  This is the first time I have tried it on W10. 

I have tried solarium but that is a real pain  trying even to  find and activate the interface.

I think my brain is turning to figgy duff or something :( 

I have looked around for other more up to date software but there does not appear to be much around these days which is free :(

Dave

Part the two:  I tried c2a and at least the ascom controller came up  on screen without issue apart from the fact I got a runtime error  - See picture

I then decided to dig deeper into Stellarium, basically I am not keen on it, its bit messy as far as graphics go compared with CDC.  However I found the commands and activated  the scope and it came up connected. !!  I then dropped down the control panel and selected the default goto to all Zeros E/S and it went to :)  I then clicked on Sirius on the screen selecting it and entered it into the command panel and it in it went back to Sirius.  (No scope on the Mounts and not even facing polar alignment) but the app wasn't to know that!. Incidently I did not have to put in any parameters for the EQ6 Stellarium found it automatically. 

So this proves that my wiring is correct and the system is working.  Just got find out now why CDC and C2A cannot find the EQ6Pro  They both find the FDTI adapter.

Pic of the C2A screen    It does show the controller  but as mention on CDC it just flashes an outline of it.   Weird..  

Dave

SS17_3.jpg

Part the three:  OK I now have a  working system on Stellarium, never used it B4.  But adding the compass ring keeps you inside your boundaries. Ya'll knew that anyway cos if you try to navigate outside of it, it refuses to work.  But yep it does work very well on the YEPO  without using ascom and all the other  stuff. (as far as I can tell)  Here is  screen shot, spot the EQ6Pro ! sitting on a star.

Dave   tonofbricks.gifSte_1.jpg Image screen shot on YEPO notebook W10 Home

• Like 1

Wow mate, so am I right in thinking you have solved everything? You must be loving slewing that mount around? Its a good feeling when it works. Astrophotography forces us to become software and electrical engineers among many other trades. 

Ray

• Like 1

Nice work Dave, not sure why you had so much trouble. I had no problems connecting my EQ6, CdC, PHD2, & APT (imaging software) via ascom on my win 10 pc. I guess it could be something with the budget notebook not being installed but couldn't even guess what it could be.

Shane

I don't know either, I have not had these issues B4.  Now the interesting thing is, its doing the exactly the same on my Dell 780 SFF computer.  I place the FDTI USB/Serial adapter in the com port 3

and Stellarium works perfectly in the Simulation mode.

But. CDC and C2A are doing the identical thing. as described above sure got me beat.  I am now going to try C2A without the Ascom interface it has that ability in the set up.  

Meanwhile I will use the Stellarium on the YEPO to do some trials on the EQ6 when (nervous ha ha) the skies clear. Right now its raining in Perth and gross misere weather.  Great night to hold the Astrofest Ray !!

Regret will not be able to attend.

So out of this I have 1 win and 2 lossess so far :)

Dave

Braves howling winds sleet and snow on the back patio.  Global warming? they must be joking - this is Autumn !

Late news: Sunday night set up everything and all worked perfectly. Tagged onto Jupiter and it only moved about about 3cm across the 8" monitor in Live mode.  This was without exact positioning of mount and no alignment  With a spot of careful setup and fine tuning, Stellarium appears to do a very good job tracking without all the Ascom stuff to worry about. 

Plan on making up a wiring harness with central power supply to all functions including camera.  

Dave

L to R Focuser control.  Yepo Note Book,  Win10.   EQ6 controller, FDTI USB/Ser adapter, 8" TFT monitor HDMI in from Camera. Very old mouse pad 2002. Computer converters went out with floppy disks. !

IMG_4107.jpg

IMG_4102-1.jpg

Excuse a bit of hand shake, taken after setting up this lot.  Anyone spot the deliberate mistake ?? 

• Like 1

You must be loving that mate. Good feeling. Now all we need are some clear skies. 

Ray