Welcome to My Astro Space Astronomy - MASA

Use the Facebook button to login with your Facebook cookie, how easy is that? Or register a standard account. 

Note you can hotlink any thread you make here direct to your Facebook timeline by hitting the Facebook button under your post (you can also hotlink direct to Twitter, Google, etc as well). So if you are an avid Facebook poster, there is no need to post content twice if you are posting it here first.  

Promote Yourself From Lurker to a Member Today And Join MASA :P 

This message will self destruct once you have signed in.

scorpius

EQ6Pro comes out of hiding.

6 posts in this topic

With a week of foul weather I dragged the EQ6PRO out of storage and cleaned off the cobwebs and charged my battery pack and drove it around the back patio.  I chanced my luck on lifting the weights and mounting the 10" SW DOB.  No pain no strain.  Just took everything nice and easy. Aiming it at my favourite Jacaranda tree found I could not focus.  Then it suddenly dawned on me that many moons ago I modified it for prime focus photography and when you put a plossl in the viewfinder one has to also add a 50mm extension. !  Duh :) 

Yes this is a much modified SW 10" x1000mm It has a Bintel Crawford focuser which is driven by a Meade electric drive (modified of course) It also has a 5" fan on the back of the mirror and whole shooting match is powered by a 10 amp SLA which is also charged by 13.8V AC Supply, that also is 10amps and can run everything off the mains.  You will also note there is SW Red Dot Finder. I purchased 4 of these after I bought the MAK 90 which had one fitted.  They are brilliant, one will be going to my great friend Kerryn (ASWA member) who has also purchased my Canon 350D after she had an "accident" with her old 300.

The Power box has numerous sockets for regulated 5V and 12V for lighting and running display screen, Tablet or Laptop.  

Note regarding the Red Dot finder. Avoid buying some which have just 2 mounting holes on the base on EBay.  They have inferior LEDs.  I got my money refunded on those.  I have managed to replace the LED in one after having dug out the old LED from a hardened putty replacing it with a quality LED.   I later bought the ones that have a dovetail base and you have to by the base extra.  Luckily the SW base for the ordinary Finderscope is compatible.  You pay a bit more but its worth getting something that works. I can provide my source if send a PM.

So looking for a break in the weather to point it other than a tree :)

IMG_4099.jpg

1 person likes this

Glad to hear you didn't strain yourself Dave.

You certainly like to mod things don't you ;).

Has the EQ6 been modded or is it still stock, I can highly recommend the Rowan belt mod.

Shane

Hi Shane, I really took great care. I lowered the cradle as close to the ground as possible and it slipped in quite nicely ( both the hernia and shoulder are fairly good now but sure have to be careful) Incidently I also made the scope rings myself using that 6mm thick teflon I had a large sheet of it and sliced it into strips, extremely strong and very flexible Using case fasteners adds just the right tension. One of the joys is you can release the lock position and revolve the scope so the eyepiece is conveniently placed with out fear of it sliding out.  Hence the guide strips either side. 

The EQ6 is as original, the only thing changed was the control board which blew a regulator. SW sent a replacement board. I still have the old board and a couple of  regulators and will repair the board sometime as a spare.   Have not heard of the belt mod.    Although I do mod a few things,  basically I follow the rule, "If it aint broke dont fix it :)"

Shortly after that picture I had to quickly dismantle and bring it in as the sun disappeared and started raining again.  Had hoped to try it tonight but a cold front is crossing the coast with intermittent showers again.  Maybe Thursday night.  The Buro threaten sunshine :) during the day. 

Hi Dave, 

Have you considered a scope trolley for that rig? Seeing as you have a paved floor it would be very handy.

Ray

P.S Nice looking kit by the way. Murphy's Law it will be raining all week now. 

Another round tuit job Ray :)   2.30am Weds, nice alignment of Moon, Jupiter and Spica near zenith in break in clouds ! Otherwise 100% cloud cover. :( 

Dave

From my Yepo Notebook

1 person likes this

Hi Dave, the Rowan Astronomy belt kit (http://www.rowanastronomy.com/productsa2.htm#neq6beltkit) simply replaces the spur gears with belt pulley and timing belt. This helps remove backlash and tracking errors in the EQ6, a by product is a mount that is a lot quieter when slewing.

I did mine a while back now and are very impressed with the improvement to tracking and guiding. Here is the link to the thread following the mod, http://www.myastrospace.com/topic/5565-eq6-belt-mod/, I also did a hypertune while it was apart.

Perhaps not really necessary if only doing visual, but a definate improvement for imaging.

Shane