Radar

PixInsight Cosmetic Correction

I'm trawling through PI last few weeks. I've got heaps of new data but I'm refusing, protesting, standing my ground, and not going to process anything until I've wrapped my head around a 389 page instruction manual for PI. Everytime I read another chapter I'm wanting to go back and reprocess, so I'm being patient and doing the PI learning curve first. 

I've been using Cosmetic Correction tonight and whilst it is clever at removing hot pixels (and even cold pixels), I'm noticing that it only removes hots specs of a certain size. It can be used for pixel sized noise removal as well which is handy. I'm yet to use the Master Dark Frame option with Cosmetic Correction. The defect map however does enable a user to select specific defects for removal. If you had a lot of noise it could take a while however gives you much more control over what happens in the resulting image. 

Ray

• Like 1

So you finally got Warrens' book mate. Very handy for going back and forth to recall how things are done etc. The Master Dark option in Cosmetic Correction is great IMO, I use the option in conjunction with Auto Detect to good effect. I don't have a Defect List made, so I don't use that option nor do I feel a need to.

You do have to be cautious with the sliders not to be too aggressive though.

Shane

IMO, PI requires a course book and Warren's certainly does that. I watched tons of video tuts and got somewhere with PI, but the book really puts things in perspective. Can't wait to get through it (and absorb it, which will be the harder part). 

Ray

• Like 1

Well I am very impressed so far with what I am learning. Of this 389 page manual I am up to 130. However I've trawled over those pages twice now and performed every function so far as to make sure I absorb this well. I'm happy to say, that average looking data or average looking master subs become extremely vivid and detailed when the software is applied correctly. PixInsight is not for the faint hearted though. You really have to put in the time and effort to get the rewards. I can't wait to absorb the rest of this manual at this stage. 

Ray

• Like 1