Welcome to My Astro Space Astronomy - MASA

Use the Facebook button to login with your Facebook cookie, how easy is that? Or register a standard account. 

Note you can hotlink any thread you make here direct to your Facebook timeline by hitting the Facebook button under your post (you can also hotlink direct to Twitter, Google, etc as well). So if you are an avid Facebook poster, there is no need to post content twice if you are posting it here first.  

Promote Yourself From Lurker to a Member Today And Join MASA :P 

This message will self destruct once you have signed in.

poppasmurf

Interesting alternative to concrete pier footing

5 posts in this topic

This is a rather interesting idea for a pier footing, I wish I knew about it years ago. When I built my backyard obs, I went with the normal 1 cubic metre of concrete for my pier footing. That is not going to move one iota I think to myself. Wrong, due to being in clay, which is rather reactive to conditions, I find I have to tweak PA almost constantly due to minor movement. It took me quite some time to work out why my PA was off after a period of time. It eventually came to me that during extremely hot/dry periods or wet periods, that the clay is expanding and contracting (I can get cracks in the yard up to about 15mm wide when dry) and this is enough to make the footing "move about" enough that I must continually check and redo PA, sometimes even consecutive sessions I need to redo the PA. Anyway have a look at the link to a post on IIS forum, there is a link in the post to the company that provided the pier base. 

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=1298489

I will be keeping an eye on that post to see how they go, also interested in others thoughts.

Shane

That's interesting. In the article, he says his concrete pier moved because of expansion in the clay. So if this technology was used in clay, would it not possibly move as well? However if you were using this in hard ground, then I agree that it would be an awesome alternative to using concrete. I have minor tilt in PA but I think it is my lifting column (I simply don't extend it all the way out which seems to keep PA). 

Ray

1 person likes this

From what I understand Ray, with the poles driven into the ground at different angles solves the movement as opposed to a large block of concrete. As I said in my original post, my pier footing(1 cubic metre) moves around enough to upset PA all the time with the shrinking and swelling of the clay. I guess with the smaller footprint of each pole driven in at different angles is less area to push around. It will be interesting to see how he goes with time and active soil. 

Shane

Makes sense mate, smaller footprint. So are you going ahead with this? Would love to hear how it goes. 

Ray

LOL no mate, the thought of removing a cubic metre of concrete from under my obs puts me off.