Chunk

Just another M42

Had an opportunity to try out the T2 adapter for my focal reducer the other night.

Not a lot of data, but enough to slap an image together.

Dan

MAS-M42.jpg

• Like 2

Jeeeeeeeeeesuz!!!! Stunning mate. What kit have you got again? The white wispy dust at the bottom over the pink is really sharp. Were you doing different timed exposures to catch the core?

Ray

:o WOW Dan, that is a ripper, as Ray said there is lots of detail. I'll be adding a focal reducer when my camera gets back but I still wont have that FoV.

Shane

Thanks Guys,

Still not professor quality, probably a bit over sharpened when I look at it again. I was a bit blurry eyed while processing which made me sharpen a bit too much.

17 hours ago, Radar said:

Jeeeeeeeeeesuz!!!! Stunning mate. What kit have you got again? The white wispy dust at the bottom over the pink is really sharp. Were you doing different timed exposures to catch the core?

Ray

Using my old skywatcher ED120 (upgraded to moonlite focuser) with 0.85 Focal reducer and QHY9 mono. Using astronomik filters. 6x5min L and 5x1min L and RGB all 3x5min. Was lazy and used 10min dark frames as I forgot to do more darks for 5 min subs. Combined the 5 min subs with 1 min subs as Luminescence frame for the core and a few layer masks.

13 hours ago, poppasmurf said:

:o WOW Dan, that is a ripper, as Ray said there is lots of detail. I'll be adding a focal reducer when my camera gets back but I still wont have that FoV.

Shane

I had to try the reducer to flatten the edges out. The old skywatcher is only a budget scope and the edges are a bit crappy when using the KAF8300 chip as it really shows up the imperfections/limitations of this scope. I think the reducer helps with flattening the edges.

Dan

• Like 2

Very nice M42. I have the Orion version of your scope and love it. As it is cold and cloudy here and have some time on my hands I downloaded your JPG image Dan and ran some tools on it. I thought I could pull out a bit more details from the background. Hope I don't offend.

Before:

MAS-M42.thumb.jpg.7a9f23c4ddf9d99225f51759097316ad.jpg

After:

MAS-M42.thumb.jpg

Eric

PS: WOW ! The image got quite blocky and pixelated on the upload to the site. Does it no justice. Didn't look like that on my monitor.

• Like 2

Nice one Eric, the upload may have done something to it as there are dark rings around the stars, but the green tinge is gone, and all that dust shows up very well. Nice to see someone elses perspective on processing the same data.

Shane

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, poppasmurf said:

Nice one Eric, the upload may have done something to it as there are dark rings around the stars, but the green tinge is gone, and all that dust shows up very well. Nice to see someone elses perspective on processing the same data.

Shane

It would have been far better to process the original TIFF or FIT file. JPG just keeps losing information every iteration, and through compression with uploaders.

Eric

• Like 2

Interesting result Eric. What tools did you run it through?

Ray

P.S I don't think there is any compression on the upload, I'll check. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eric Mjolnir said:

Very nice M42. I have the Orion version of your scope and love it. As it is cold and cloudy here and have some time on my hands I downloaded your JPG image Dan and ran some tools on it. I thought I could pull out a bit more details from the background. Hope I don't offend.

5 hours ago, Eric Mjolnir said:

It would have been far better to process the original TIFF or FIT file. JPG just keeps losing information every iteration, and through compression with uploaders.

Eric

No worries. If I knew how to send you the original files, you are welcome to play around with them. You've done a good job bringing out more detail with just the JPEG, especially the brown dust. I would like to see what you could do with the original TIFF &/or FIT files. I would get more data but I am extremely flat out this time of year with my job, which really sucks as the weather here is ideal at the moment for imaging.

I like the old ED120 too. It's been a great scope for my capabilities.

50 minutes ago, Radar said:

Interesting result Eric. What tools did you run it through?

Ray

Yes - how did you do this?

Dan.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chunk said:

No worries. If I knew how to send you the original files, you are welcome to play around with them. You've done a good job bringing out more detail with just the JPEG, especially the brown dust. I would like to see what you could do with the original TIFF &/or FIT files. I would get more data but I am extremely flat out this time of year with my job, which really sucks as the weather here is ideal at the moment for imaging.

I like the old ED120 too. It's been a great scope for my capabilities.

Yes - how did you do this?

Dan.

I use "Cheap" or "Free" tools. My main photo processing platform is Adobe Photo Shop Elements 14. Cost was about $79. It has a raw converter that handles 16 bit TIF files but will not open and actual RAW file. For my Canon Raw files I use Canon Digital Photo Pro to open and adjust but it only will save them as 16 bit TIF.  This works well with DSS as I save my files as 16 bit TIF. I have not tried it with FIT files though. I do as much work in the TIF format as possible. I also have the Astronomy Tools 1.6 for Elements Filters add on. It has several useful tools and some that are worthless. I brought your image into PSE using "open in camera raw". This converts the 8 bit JPG to 16 bit. In camera raw you can adjust many variables of the image. After some slight adjustments there to "clarity", "vibrance" and adjustments to highlights, whites and shadows I saved it back into PSE14 . A freebie is Hasta La Vista Green that works in 8 or 16 bit mode. I used it to rid your image of the green tint (wonderful tool).  I then used PSE's  enhance-lighting-shadows & highlights to bring up the background and then attenuate the brightness of the blowouts a little more. I applied the Astronomy Tools for Elements filter "Local Contrast Enhancement". Final tool was an application of unsharp mask of 25% of 4 pixels at 0 threshhold (based on this images size and reaction).

Eric

• Like 1