Sign in to follow this  
wingeing Pom

The MegaNode computing facility

For mucking about - when I have nothing better to do - I run Prime Number hunting software on fast computers.  I set up a DELL T610 server in December 2016 to do this and it has been great fun.  But a few days ago I thought about trying something with a bit more grunt, just to see what happens.  E-Bay is your friend and I bought a very basic quad node DELL C6100 for £300 (this thing was £20,000 new!!) - thank you E-Bay :)

4 nodes basically means there are 4 computers in the thing, you can see 2 of the nodes top right, the other 2 nodes are underneath these 2 as this is a 2U rack unit.  These nodes have twin processors (Xeon 5500 or 5600 series) and EACH processor has 6 DIMM sockets for DDR3 1300MHz RAM.  I tell you this thing is a beast.

I put in 4 x 1Tb HDDs in the grey section you can see to the left in the image, and loaded up Windows 10 onto each of the 4 nodes.  Works a treat.  Remote desktop to the main study computer (which conveniently has 4 monitors) and I can see what's going on with the system.  Loaded up the Prime Number hunting software and it all runs fine - but slowly!  At present it only has 2.13GHz Quad core Xeons (8 off) in the 4 nodes, and even at 100% load - they just don't have it.  So tomorrow I am getting delivered 4 x Hex core 2.93GHz Xeons to swap out the processors in 2 of the nodes.  If it all works out o.k. I will buy the second set of 4 Xeon processors next month.

I'll keep you posted on how things pan out :)

Greg

DELL_C6100.jpg

• Like 1

Afraid so Ray - it really  is as nerdy as that :)

It's to find BIG Prime Numbers, or the longest arithmetical series of Prime Numbers - basically anything new to do with Primes.

But the BOINC software also allows you to do useful things like searching for new pharmaceuticals, or astronomy-related work like Galaxy recognition or General Relativity stuff.  You can also mine Bitcoins for charities.

Greg

• Like 2