poppasmurf

First go processing NB

Dan (Chunk) was kind enough to allow me to have a first crack at processing NB with some data he collected. Being the first attempt I'm not sure how well I've done but here it is with his processing as comparison.

First one is Dan's effort, the following image is my effort. Tips and/or C & C appreciated.

Shane 

NGC-3576-10min-SHO-1.jpg

NGC3576_SHO.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah Shane, pretty good.

I found these tips for NB processing.

No star removal tips but more of colour tips. The overall results can be subjective depending on what you like.

Use SII for the red channel, Ha for the green and OII for the blue.

Adjust R, G, B channels in the histogram so they all overlap.

Duplicate the base layer and open "selective colour" and choose greens. Reduce cyan component to -100% and magenta to -25%. Next select yellows and reduce cyan to -100% and magenta to +25% select cyan and reduce yellow to -100% and click OK. Open "selective colour" again and select cyan and reduce yellow component to -100% and magenta to -25%. Click OK. Magenta may still need to be adjusted if required.

Dan

• Like 1

Now I need to learn how to translate that info for PI. Cheers mate.

As for channels I had already mapped to SHO for standard hubble pallette, I did forget to manipulate the histo to overlap. Might have another go tomorrow.

Shane

Looking good Shane. You've squeezed good colour and data out of those.

This is what Dan is talking about

http://bf-astro.com/hubblep.htm

There are some good tut's on Ken Crawfords website -

http://www.imagingdeepsky.com/Presentations.html

Ken runs the Advanced Imaging Conference in the U.S or the AIC.

Ray

• Like 1

That's the stuff. And a very handy website that I'll be adding to my favorites. Thanks Ray.

Dan.

• Like 1

AAAHHHH, yes I remember those sites from a while back. Very good source of info. I believe I have them both saved in favorites, if not they will be in a moment. 

Thanks Ray.

Shane

P.S. thanks for the files guys.

Ray can you let me know which files correspond to which channel? eg group1 Ha, group2 SII, group5 OIII.

Also found on the PI forum some info on a script to mask particular colours to then manipulate them without affecting other colours, and a heap of info that I am yet to go through on combining etc . Will be try that out soon with the data you guys have allowed me to use.

The downside to all this is, now I really want a set of NB filters, and SWMBO/MoFaW is carrying on a bit about how much gear I have, and how much more I want. LOL. As I have also been researching new mounts and quite like the 10Micron GM2000, but that will probably just be a pipedream as they are rather expensive.

Shane

18 hours ago, poppasmurf said:

Also found on the PI forum some info on a script to mask particular colours to then manipulate them without affecting other colours, and a heap of info that I am yet to go through on combining etc . Will be try that out soon with the data you guys have allowed me to use.

Very interested to hear how this script goes for you mate. And jump in the deep end with the mount. You won't be sorry. 

Ray

• Like 1

Here you go Ray, i'm not overly happy with this one. NB is a lot harder than BB processing. I'm not even sure what colour this should be for SHO. I really struggled with this data, I couldn't get ColorMask to work the way I thought it would, probably just me.

Shane

Image09_clone_DBE.jpg

• Like 1