Radar

Pillars & Dust Fingers In Carina

15 hours /≈ Lum, Ha, OIII and SII. Processed in PixInsight. The corners are obviously not part of the final image, I'll crop those later. I haven't added the lum yet either, this is a work in progress.

This is just a low res jpeg. Learning a ton about processing (I already knew quite a bit but this hobby is not for the faint hearted). 

Eta Carina Pillars.JPG

Comments and feedback welcome as always. 

Ray

• Like 2

Nice one Ray. Do you do star removal when doing narrowband? 

I came across a website somewhere once and it was quite interesting how he processed narrowband. I tried it out and seemed to workout really well. I saved his steps. Only problem, it's on my old computer somewhere. But your results look similar. 

Good one.

Dan.

Hi Dan,

No mate, I don't do any star removal, however funny you mention this because I did see someone on Facebook yesterday that showed some steps to their processing and complete star removal was one of them. It blows my mind how much there is to learn about post processing. I'm still wrangling with PixInsight and wrapping my head around the amount of functions and features it offers. PI requires serious learning time but is extremely powerful. Many of PI's tutorials are considerably long, 45 plus minutes and sometimes I just don't have those windows to sit and watch. I need to get Warren Keller's PI book I think. Many tuts I see tell you what settings to adjust but don't include what the settings are actually for or how they work which is paramount to understanding. What post processing software are you using?

Ray

9 minutes ago, Radar said:

Hi Dan,

No mate, I don't do any star removal, however funny you mention this because I did see someone on Facebook yesterday that showed some steps to their processing and complete star removal was one of them. It blows my mind how much there is to learn about post processing. I'm still wrangling with PixInsight and wrapping my head around the amount of functions and features it offers. PI requires serious learning time but is extremely powerful. Many of PI's tutorials are considerably long, 45 plus minutes and sometimes I just don't have those windows to sit and watch. I need to get Warren Keller's PI book I think. Many tuts I see tell you what settings to adjust but don't include what the settings are actually for or how they work which is paramount to understanding. What post processing software are you using?

Ray

I believe that was Paul Swift mate, I saw it as well.

• Like 1

Hey Ray (and everyone else too)....The person I saw is J-P Metsavainio. Here's a link to "Tone mapping". Only thing is, he uses PS. I only use PS as it's all I know and have. I do have Nebulosity but I only use that to capture. I am aware PS only does 16 bit, but my images don't warrant the time and money for PI as yet. I may look at PI later on when I get better data. But have a look at this blokes website. He's bloody good. I guess I am particularly interested in his stuff as he has the same camera as me, so something for me to aspire to.

Plus it's in PDF so you can print out or save for later reference. I hate YouTube tutorials...I just want to fast forward but can't in fear of missing vital bits, but after watching them I realise what a waste of time and wish I did fast forward!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24702393/Tone Mapping_v2.pdf

or if that link doesn't work

https://astroanarchy.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/tone-mapping-v20-my-lecture-at-neaic.html and click on the picture

Interesting website if nothing else. I hope this helps.

Dan.

• Like 1

Hi Dan, 

Had a quick look at that tutorial, very very interesting. I can't wait to try my hand at that. It has a few steps and is by no means quick and simple, but reading through it is already showing me processing and layering techniques I hadn't thought of before. I've saved it to disk in the event it gets pulled down. I'll try and redo an image or two and repost in about 15 hours (kids back at school today so could be hectic working through this in the evenings but I'll give it a crack). 

Ray

• Like 2

Nice share Dan, at some point I'll have a good look and see how I can convert the PS to PI and see how that works. All I need is some NB filters now, unless one or both you kind gentlemen would like to share a set of calibrated NB sets for me to play with to something like dropbox for download.

Shane

• Like 2

Good to hear Ray. By memory, it sounded complicated at first, but once you get stuck into it, it's not too bad.

8 hours ago, poppasmurf said:

Nice share Dan, at some point I'll have a good look and see how I can convert the PS to PI and see how that works. All I need is some NB filters now, unless one or both you kind gentlemen would like to share a set of calibrated NB sets for me to play with to something like dropbox for download.

Shane

Easier if I drop a USB stick of some old data in for ya. I'll dig out some post Deep Sky Stacker data tonight. Or I can give you the subs.

Dan

• Like 1

On 01/02/2017 at 7:14 AM, poppasmurf said:

. All I need is some NB filters now, unless one or both you kind gentlemen would like to share a set of calibrated NB sets for me to play with to something like dropbox for download.

Happy to mate. In fact I like cross processing. A good way to demonstrate if we are missing anything in the workflow. Any preferences on what image?

Ray

• Like 1

No preference mate, unless there's one you are having a particular problem with that you would like me to attempt. Dan dropped a usb in while I was at work this arvo, so I am about to have a crack at his data.

Shane