Welcome to My Astro Space Astronomy - MASA

Use the Facebook button to login with your Facebook cookie, how easy is that? Or register a standard account. 

Note you can hotlink any thread you make here direct to your Facebook timeline by hitting the Facebook button under your post (you can also hotlink direct to Twitter, Google, etc as well). So if you are an avid Facebook poster, there is no need to post content twice if you are posting it here first.  

Promote Yourself From Lurker to a Member Today And Join MASA :P 

This message will self destruct once you have signed in.

Chunk

Adapter and pier

6 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Thought I'd put these pics in the relevant section.

Shane - here's a pic of the T2? adapter for my reducer, As you mentioned the moonlite only has a compression ring, so I had to get this made up. I am hopeful it will do the job. Adapter_and_reducer.JPG

Also, thought I'd put my mount in here as well. Mount.JPG

Lucky I have friends to make this stuff for me. Way beyond my job description.

Dan.

Looks like that adapter should do the trick mate, as long as you still have the correct spacings. the only thing I would suggest is to get it anodised or at least chemically blackened or painted to keep stray reflections down.

That pier adapter looks good and chunky (pardon the pun ;)). Who does this stuff for you? I have asked my brother for some adapters at times but he's always too busy or can't really take guys off the lathes and mills to do quick one off jobs on the cheap for me.

Shane

Nice machining Dan. I used to own a metal lathe and would either try doing stuff myself or I would get one of the guys in my workshop to do it. So handy to have a machinist on call. Part of every astrophotographers kit should be a machinist (such a handy skill). 

Ray

1 person likes this

Yep Shane, I'll try it out first, but I probably should get it blackened. My mate at Cox's does it for me. Your brother reluctantly cut a piece to size for this reducer ages ago so I could get the correct spacing. It was like pulling his teeth out! I understand that though, especially when they are busy, which seems to be all the time. I know you can do this stuff. You should just jump on a lathe one arvo. My mate must do these things on the sly I reckon. I don't ask, he just does these thing as he thinks the astronomy thing is cool and I know his boss pretty well too. I keep throwing work their way with my job and am at the workshop frequently. I saw their water cutter the other month. Now I want to get an aluminium water cut bahtinov mask next, but just waiting for the right moment to ask. Might cost me some bottles of wine. But that is fine with me. 

And Ray - any type of metal and me don't get along. I can't weld at all. I've tried but I just make holes. I can grind. But machining, no way. I'll leave that for the talented metal workers.  Definitely a skill. I can't even read callipers properly! 

1 person likes this

On 31/01/2017 at 3:20 PM, Chunk said:

And Ray - any type of metal and me don't get along. I can't weld at all. I've tried but I just make holes. I can grind. But machining, no way. I'll leave that for the talented metal workers.  Definitely a skill. I can't even read callipers properly! 

lol, fair enough. I found stick welding annoyingly hard to learn, but mig welding easy. I can machine stuff but never learned how to do threads. I have a mate higher up the food chain for that. He also thinks that the astronomy thing is cool and is happy to help when I bring him all my bits and pieces. I think he likes hearing about it. 

Ray

1 person likes this

Finding guys that will do small one off jobs are becoming very scarce.  I had a mate at Willeton (next suburb) who had a decent sized CNC machine and he did a number of mods for me for focusers and scope adapters.  But they jacked up his rent so high they put him out of business and he went back to being an employed CNC machinist. I think he sold his CNC to the company he went and worked for. 

Even hard to find a GP Welder, had one of those at Willeton, same routine,  rent increases and he took off back to New Zealand.   Yeah, Willeton used to be great area for small business, but the property owners got too greedy and now half the properties are empty.  

I have all the parts etc to build a small CNC machine, I need a round tuit and enough enthusiasm to build it. :)  We also have a small MIG welder here which I used to build rotator cages for my ham radio masts, they went reasonably well.

Dave

3 people like this